News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Sunless Sea is a fun little time-waster.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Recently I thought about streaming Ultimate General: Civil War or American Civil War II, but I think in the current climate I'd rather not. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Haven't played much yet. The Historical Gamer plays it a lot on YT, though: https://www.youtube.com/user/thehistoricalgamer
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

The new XCOM2 expansion is calling to me... has anyone tried it yet and can tell me that it sucks and I shouldn't buy it?

Grey Fox

Tried the Destiny 2 open beta for PC.

A smooth 60 fps (sometimes more) on my quite old rig as put a game I had no interest in onto my radar.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2017, 07:21:59 AM
The new XCOM2 expansion is calling to me... has anyone tried it yet and can tell me that it sucks and I shouldn't buy it?

Metacritic has it at 88 I think... That being said I haven't tried it myself. I'm cheap.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on August 30, 2017, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2017, 07:21:59 AM

Metacritic has it at 88 I think... That being said I haven't tried it myself. I'm cheap.

It's pretty great.

Had a resource raid mission that not only had the twist of having a bit of a race for containers as aliens would be airlifting them out gradually, but it involved a lot of zombies, sorry I mean The Lost, regular aliens, plus one of the Chosen villains. In a middle of city environment. A 3-way massacre. I had an 87% chance to finish off the Chosen and probably win the map but I missed, and I got killed off.

There are some performance improvements, new mission types and changes to existing ones, new maps, the NPC factions offer variety, there are off-map mission to send your people to, there is a bond system between soldiers to micro manage a bit if you are so inclined, there is extra story and chrome, and I am only 1.5 months in...

They truly threw everything and the kitchen sink into it. I would recommend newcomers to play without the expac as all the options must be overwhelming when you are new to it all, but if you have seen the base campaign, this is a great refreshing of the game. I am as addicted as I was when the game first came out.

Scipio

UnEpic. Pretty fun Metroidvania game. Lots of metagaming references.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Just played through Prey.  The game is kind of weird.  It's a remake of a game from about 10 years ago, except it has absolutely nothing to do with the previous game.  I'm baffled as to why they would spend the money on a licence of a game few people remember and that only average to begin with.  What the game actually is, is System Shock 2.  You are on a space ship full of monsters, the monsters have killed the crew or turned them into monsters, you read people's emails and audio logs, you level up abilities and gain magic powers and you hit people with a big wrench.

The game is also alternate history.  John F Kennedy wasn't assassinated in 1963 and the result was that we now have anti-gravity and giant space stations.  On the other hand the Soviet Union is still here and there are space aliens.  The space aliens are kinda lame.  They look like scribbles and wander around aimlessly in the fancy office of the space station.  Some of them can turn into inanimate objects to ambush you which never stops being annoying.

Still, I put 30 hours into it, which is more than most games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

You certainly knocked the shit out of those achievements on Steam with it.

Liep

Finished Far Cry 4, as entertaining as 3 but with a little disappointing finish. Went full Amira, because.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

I've been playing the game Banished. Simple to play, kind of until you figure it out, else you probably tend to expand too fast and your population starves. Lots of excellent fan created expansions for it. It's really a cool game, not overly complex for the times I want a less complicated or tedious game to play, but there's plenty enough to it to give some fun and challenge.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on September 13, 2017, 07:44:37 PM
I've been playing the game Banished. Simple to play, kind of until you figure it out, else you probably tend to expand too fast and your population starves. Lots of excellent fan created expansions for it. It's really a cool game, not overly complex for the times I want a less complicated or tedious game to play, but there's plenty enough to it to give some fun and challenge.

Woah! KRonn, long time no see! Hope you're doing well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point