Ottawa Conservative party receives body parts in mail

Started by Syt, May 30, 2012, 04:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on June 18, 2012, 11:52:36 AM
The guy was extradited by Germany to Canada today. I am surprised this was done so quickly.

Apparently he didn't contest the extradition.  Because yes, ordinarily it is a very long process.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2012, 11:56:39 AM
Me too. 

I wonder if he'll try to plead not guilty.

Only defense I can see so far is some form of mental disease.
Unfortunately for him they took homosexuality out of the DSM IV.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

You know, since this guy is obviously in it for the show and the newsreel attention, and the details of the case can be so gross and horrific as to constitute obscene content, wouldn't there be grounds to request the whole trial be done under huit clos to shut the media outside the courtroom?

Just wondering. I'd like BB's input on this, as a Crown Prosecutor.

viper37

there'd be a media uproard, but it'd sure piss him off.

Anyway, he'll plead mental insanity, do a year in a psychiatric ward then be release under supervision to the general public.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2012, 04:25:41 PM
Anyway, he'll plead mental insanity, do a year in a psychiatric ward then be release under supervision to the general public.

You're insane.

Or, in polite form: Es-tu malade, ostie?!

Drakken

Yeah the media will be pissed off, but it's small price to pay in exchange of denying an accused to abuse courts to peacock himself to the crowd and become a celebrity.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on June 19, 2012, 04:12:16 PM
You know, since this guy is obviously in it for the show and the newsreel attention, and the details of the case can be so gross and horrific as to constitute obscene content, wouldn't there be grounds to request the whole trial be done under huit clos to shut the media outside the courtroom?

Just wondering. I'd like BB's input on this, as a Crown Prosecutor.

Nope.  Absolutely not.

Mind you there will be a publication ban on the bail hearing and any preliminary inquiry, but once the trial starts everything can be published.

This guy sounds far from being NCRMD.  He's going away for a long time.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2012, 05:04:34 PM
This guy sounds far from being NCRMD.  He's going away for a long time.

Viper was referring to the Guy Turcotte case.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on June 19, 2012, 04:27:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2012, 04:25:41 PM

You're insane.

Or, in polite form: Es-tu malade, ostie?!
Guy Turcotte was apparently not an isolated case.

viper37

Anyway.  It turns out there's been a mistake.  He pleaded not guilty, but did not have too.  His lawyer and the judge got confused.  He's back in court on Thursday to enter his plea.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2012, 09:52:55 AM
Anyway.  It turns out there's been a mistake.  He pleaded not guilty, but did not have too.  His lawyer and the judge got confused.  He's back in court on Thursday to enter his plea.

Yeah, that sounded odd.  Nobody enters their plea on their first appearance.

Barrister

necro-bump

Apparently there are happy endings even for convicted murderers and body defilers.  Muke Magnotta is getting married - to another inmate.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/06/20/convicted-killer-luka-magnotta-reportedly-getting-married.html

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2017, 03:22:29 PM
necro-bump

Apparently there are happy endings even for convicted murderers and body defilers.  Muke Magnotta is getting married - to another inmate.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/06/20/convicted-killer-luka-magnotta-reportedly-getting-married.html

Do they have like prison dances and mix-and mingle evenings in prisons?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011