News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2012, 07:45:15 AM
Uhm, remind me, how long were the Brits/French fighting the Germans/Italians before the Americans joined? :P

Yeah that was weird.  The Euros should really be grateful to the Germans for declaring war on us more than anything else.

Though, you have to admit, that lend lease thing was pretty nice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2012, 10:00:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2012, 06:09:02 AM
Personally, I think it's completely adorable that the critics of the Libyan action are bleating about Obama not doing anything hardcore about Syria.

Like who?

Romney yesterday:
QuoteAfter nearly a year and a half of slaughter, it is far past time for the United States to begin to lead and put an end to the Assad regime," Romney said in a written statement. "President Obama can no longer ignore calls from congressional leaders in both parties to take more assertive steps."

McCain yesterday:
QuoteMcCain went for the jugular, "This is a shameful episode in American history...This administration has a feckless foreign policy, which abandons American leadership." He finished with one more blow: "The only conclusion you can draw is that this president wants to kick the can down the road."

And of course, plenty of your favorite conservative columnists.

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on May 27, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
In any case, if (when) Assad falls, Syria will get Taliban-grade islamism. So I don't understand the US arming the rebels.

While I'm not quite sure it would be Taliban-level, I agree that it will in many ways be worse than the Assad regime.  The devil you know, and all that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2012, 10:13:35 AM
In any case, if (when) Assad falls, Syria will get Taliban-grade islamism. So I don't understand the US arming the rebels.

While I'm not quite sure it would be Taliban-level, I agree that it will in many ways be worse than the Assad regime.  The devil you know, and all that.

:huh:

I could understand that reasoning with Mubarak. 'he might be a son-of-a-bitch, but he's our son-of-a-bitch' and all that.  But Assad?  He's pretty consistently opposed to everything the US and West has ever done.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2012, 10:13:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2012, 10:00:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2012, 06:09:02 AM
Personally, I think it's completely adorable that the critics of the Libyan action are bleating about Obama not doing anything hardcore about Syria.

Like who?

Romney yesterday:
QuoteAfter nearly a year and a half of slaughter, it is far past time for the United States to begin to lead and put an end to the Assad regime," Romney said in a written statement. "President Obama can no longer ignore calls from congressional leaders in both parties to take more assertive steps."

McCain yesterday:
QuoteMcCain went for the jugular, "This is a shameful episode in American history...This administration has a feckless foreign policy, which abandons American leadership." He finished with one more blow: "The only conclusion you can draw is that this president wants to kick the can down the road."

And of course, plenty of your favorite conservative columnists.

Both Romney and McCain were pro-intervention in Libya, ya goof.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Who would have thought NOT getting involved in the never ending squables in the Middle East would be considered "feckless".  I don't think McCain is serious but if he is thank Hod he was not elected President.  He would have our boys dying in pointless M-E squables right and left and getting manipulated by various d-bags into doing their fighting for them. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2012, 10:16:17 AM

I could understand that reasoning with Mubarak. 'he might be a son-of-a-bitch, but he's our son-of-a-bitch' and all that.  But Assad?  He's pretty consistently opposed to everything the US and West has ever done.

Yeah and even if he wins he will be vastly weakened and completely isolated.  Frankly I do not know what Assad thinks the outcome of this is going to be.  It cannot be good for him in any case.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2012, 10:16:17 AM

Yeah, he's an ass.  And if we could magically replace him with a pro-western government (or at least a non-anti-western government) I'd be all for his removal.  But on balance I don't think he's any worse than what is in store if the rebels win. 

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2012, 10:19:56 AM
Frankly I do not know what Assad thinks the outcome of this is going to be.  It cannot be good for him in any case.

He doesn't want to be the one to have let the family business go under.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2012, 10:13:35 AM

Just don't de-Baathify everybody in the Syrian fucking government and military, like that imbecile Bremer did.

Pick a general that can stabilize things, and go with him.  That's how we should've done it in Iraq; once we broke the damned thing, there were plenty of Iraqi generals with troops in the barracks ready to go.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2012, 10:18:46 AM
Both Romney and McCain were pro-intervention in Libya, ya goof.

They were incredibly critical of the President's pacing, and you know that.

And let's not forget the Teabaggers' screaming about "leading from behind" with NATO.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2012, 10:24:44 AM
Just don't de-Baathify everybody in the Syrian fucking government and military, like that imbecile Bremer did.

Pick a general that can stabilize things, and go with him.  That's how we should've done it in Iraq; once we broke the damned thing, there were plenty of Iraqi generals with troops in the barracks ready to go.

I agree, but you know that's not how it will happen.  We have to extend to them TEH BLESSSINGS OF DEMOCRACEH.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2012, 10:26:17 AM
They were incredibly critical of the President's pacing, and you know that.

And let's not forget the Teabaggers' screaming about "leading from behind" with NATO.

wut?

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi