Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

So our kids are picky eaters.  The little guys I think just get it by copying what bigger brother Timothy does, but for whatever reason, they are hard to get to eat new things.

For Easter we had some friends and family over and we cooked a big ham.  We tried to get Timothy to eat some - despite him saying "it smells like bacon!" (and bacon is one thing he will eat), he refused to try.

So we try middle kid Andrew.  Reluctantly he puts some in his mouth... then his face breaks out in a huge grin and he goes "I'm happy!".  A couple moments later he tells us "I like ham".  Apparently he likes ham so much he had to tell us "I like ham" about five or six more times.

A little later on, Timothy and his little buddy were "discussing" whether or not to go play outside.  His little buddy says "well we should go check the weather stick".  Puzzled, I ask "what is the weather stick?".  Timothy replies "you know, the one with the birds on it".

I pause for a moment, then burst out laughing.  They're talking about the thermometer in our window, which has a picture of a bird on it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

:lol:  That reminds me of one time when Tommy was like 2 or 3, he was trying to say something about the sun but couldn't think of the actual word for it, so he called it "the hot moon".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2015, 01:17:09 PM
"I'm happy!".  A couple moments later he tells us "I like ham".  Apparently he likes ham so much he had to tell us "I like ham" about five or six more times.

Reminds me of how J reacted to having cake on his second birthday.  "I like dat.  I big like dat!"

Barrister

So last night Timmy starts asking me about Santa Claus.  And whether he's real.  I grow a little bit sad - surely he's not too old to believe in Santa Claus?

Then he tells me he thinks Santa doesn't deliver presents on Christmas.  It's probably the Easter Bunny who does it instead.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2015, 10:15:00 AM
Then he tells me he thinks Santa doesn't deliver presents on Christmas.  It's probably the Easter Bunny who does it instead.

:lol:

For some reason David is also very impressed with the Easter Bunny.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Andrew's favourite pjs:

So Timmy and Andrew love superheroes.  There are lots of superhero cartoons on Netflix, and at bedtime we like to watch the 1960s Batman show.  For some reason Andrew's absolute favourite is Robin - he might be the only person in the entire history of time who thinks Robin is cool.

But anyways a couple weeks ago Tracy brought home a pair of pyjamas that immediately became Andrew's favourite.  They're Batman pyjamas.  The shirt looks like Batman's costume, with logo, utility belt, and fake abs.  That's not unusual for kids pyjamas - the boys have similar Ninja Turtle pyjamas.

But what puts these pjs over the top is that it comes complete with a Batman cape, attached with velcro.  So off Andrew goes to bed, cape flapping behind him (because when you're wearing a cape, you have no choice but to run at full speed everywhere apparently). :lol:

frunk

Things that I have recently learned my daughter is scared of:

Cows, horses, goats, ducks and chickens that make noise
Pigeons that flap their wings
Live action Scooby Doo (I'm also scared of this one)
Elevators that beep
People laughing

Barrister

We spent the weekend re-doing the boys room.  We got them a bunkbed since Timmy was about to outgrow the little Ikea toddler bed he was sleeping on.

That meant we had two toddler beds to get rid of.  We're giving one to my brother in Calgary, and we were going to keep the other one just hanging around until Joshua was eventually ready to move out of his crib.

There wasn't really room for it, but we put the extra bed into Joshua's room to put it somewhere, and so he could maybe get ready for the idea.

But when it came time for bed Joshua marched straight over to that bed and had absolutely zero issues.

So now the crib is all packed up, and Tracy got a little-bit teary as that meant "no more babies" were in our house.

On the other hand, I was very excited at the thought of "no more babies". :cool:

Grey Fox

Oh yeah, that gets your a tear. I gave my crib to a friend. He posted picture of it all assembled for his new born on Facebook. Made me all nostalgic again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

My youngest moved out last Saturday (none days ago).  This weekend I found what appears to be a diary under the mattress on her old bed.  :glare:

Barrister

A couple of Halloween anecdotes.

The boys were super excited for weeks to go trick-or-treating.  Timmy (5) had his batman costume, Andrew (3) had his Robin costume, and Joshua had another Batman costume.  But when it comes time to go out, this being Edmonton it was pretty cold.  So we bundle everyone up in their winter coats and try to put their costumes on overtop.  But Joshie's Batman costume just won't fit.  Things are getting a little stressful with Timmy really, really wanting to get going, but we hunt around and find an elephant costume Tim wore a couple of years ago that fits just fine.

Except now Andrew's just hit his limit.  He's been so excited he just melts down.  He doesn't want to go, he's crying that he wants to stay at home.

So I take Timmy and Joshua, while Mrs B stays at home with Andrew trying to get him to calm down.

We go to our neighbors first, of course.  They let the boys pick out a full-size chocolate bar (:w00t:).  But when I try to get Joshie to put his in the bag, there's no way.  The lady gave him chocolate and dammit he was going to eat his chocolate!  Eventually I give in and unwrap the chocolate.  So for the next little while Josh wanders around to the houses but not interested in any of the other candy I'm gathering on his behalf - he's busy making a mess eating his treat.

Eventually Josh gets tired, and Andrew comes out to join us.  Mrs B takes the two older boys out some more.

Evening ends in the expected pigging out on sugar.

Anyways... fast forward to the next morning.  Mrs B has signed up to take the boys out for a Downs Syndrome fundraising walk.  She got some donations signing up as a group - "Team Dynamic Duo", with everyone dressed up as superheroes.  But that was fine when we had two Batmans and a Robin - now it's Batman, Robin and an elephant.  So what do we do?  We tie a red cape around Joshua's elephant costume and send him as as Elephant Man.   :blush:

Admiral Yi

If I were you I would dress all three up as the Michelin Man to keep them warm.

Barrister

So middle kid Andrew has been super lovey recently.  Today, even after getting home from work at 5:30, about 3 times he came up to me and said "I want a hug and kiss".. which of course "forced" me to get down on my knees and give him a hug and a kiss. :hug:

On the other front... It's been about a week since I changed a diaper for the youngest Joshie.  I've been changing diapers non-stop since mid-2010.  It's glorious. :cool:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2016, 12:56:44 AM
So middle kid Andrew has been super lovey recently.  Today, even after getting home from work at 5:30, about 3 times he came up to me and said "I want a hug and kiss".. which of course "forced" me to get down on my knees and give him a hug and a kiss. :hug:

it's impossible to say no to a hug and kiss from one's kids I've found. Our youngest is learning to hug at six months, resulting in the occassional hug and drool moment. But refusing is impossible. :p