Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2014, 10:24:24 PM
Do you ever just go watch your kids sleep?

Am I weird for that?

I still do - he's so beautiful when he sleeps!

When he was a tiny baby, used to sneak in to make sure he was still breathing - that's a first-child-parent-fear thing, I think.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

In bad parenting news, Cassandra asked if she could play Space Marine on the PS3. I said yes.

She made chainsaw noises as she was chopping up Orks. Next up, Chaos worship at Sunday school.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

So with Christmas coming up, there have been lots of questions of the boys about what they'd like for Christmas.

For some reason... Timmy's answer is "a rocketship".

What seems so very depressing to me though is that nobody makes toy rocketships these days.  We're sruggling to find something - the best we can do is a toy spaceshuttle, but I feel bad since that's nearly 40 year old technology.

What is the next generation going to dream of if there are no more toy rocketships?  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I had a Matchbox Space Shuttle that opened the cargo bay to show the (then new) SkyLab inside.

But yeah, modern space exploration doesn't lend itself to toys, because there's nothing too flashy going on. A Hubble Space Telescope, as awesome as it is, doesn't make for a great toy.

How about this? http://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Ship-Adventure-working-elevator/dp/B002UD26HA
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

There is always Lego Star Wars. The star destroyer is cool.

Richard Hakluyt

This looks like a cracking toy, think a mate of mine had it back in the day :

http://www.vintage-toys-for-sale.com/toys/classified/2015?imgdisplay=1

Bit pricey at $150 maybe  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

When to an event today for the younger niece, the 7 year old, where her work was one of the few pieces selected from her school for a regional art exhibit.
When it was time to go--

"Thank you for inviting me, sweetie.  Your work is very good, and I am very proud of you."
"I get your leather jacket when you die."

I love her so much. :wub:

Ed Anger

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 03:25:26 PM
When to an event today for the younger niece, the 7 year old, where her work was one of the few pieces selected from her school for a regional art exhibit.
When it was time to go--

"Thank you for inviting me, sweetie.  Your work is very good, and I am very proud of you."

:D

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2014, 01:31:11 AM
So with Christmas coming up, there have been lots of questions of the boys about what they'd like for Christmas.

For some reason... Timmy's answer is "a rocketship".

What seems so very depressing to me though is that nobody makes toy rocketships these days.  We're sruggling to find something - the best we can do is a toy spaceshuttle, but I feel bad since that's nearly 40 year old technology.

What is the next generation going to dream of if there are no more toy rocketships?  :(

What about these things?

http://www.amazon.com/Estes-1469-Tandem-X-Launch-Set/dp/B002VLP67S/ref=sr_1_6/188-2050897-2093323?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1416778064&sr=1-6&keywords=rocket+parachute
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 22, 2014, 08:48:15 PM
In bad parenting news, Cassandra asked if she could play Space Marine on the PS3. I said yes.

She made chainsaw noises as she was chopping up Orks. Next up, Chaos worship at Sunday school.

Cassandra is a pretty good name for a Sister of Battle, so perhaps it was preordained?

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on November 13, 2014, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2014, 10:24:24 PM
Do you ever just go watch your kids sleep?

Am I weird for that?

I still do - he's so beautiful when he sleeps!

When he was a tiny baby, used to sneak in to make sure he was still breathing - that's a first-child-parent-fear thing, I think.

Heh, when you reach a certain age, you start doing that with old people.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2014, 06:41:45 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 22, 2014, 08:48:15 PM

Cassandra is a pretty good name for a Sister of Battle, so perhaps it was preordained?

She'll be an Inquisitor. Dispensing vengeance and shit.

Grey Fox

Ariel drew/made a collage of the toys she wants for christmas. She put a stack of hand towels has a choice. Sold!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 03:25:26 PM
When it was time to go--

Yesterday was Grandparents Day at her school, and they worked on their writing and spelling with a Q & A worksheet--

Q--If you had one wish to give to Grandma/Grandpa, what wish would it be?
A--"To live longer"