Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2014, 12:59:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2014, 12:56:14 PM
Tommy starts 1st grade next year.  We have a "graduation" thing for his kindergarten class tomorrow, the concept of which annoys me to no end.

I had one for Kindergarten, I had one for third grade (because my school went from 1st to 3rd), and then another for fifth grade.  I was getting pretty good at graduating by the time I was a Senior in HS.

Growing up we had school K-8 and 9-12.

I was pissed off we never had a grade 8 grad.  In some ways it would have been more meaningful for me than my highschool grad - I'd been with that group of kids for much longer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Any graduation ceremony before high school graduation was unheard of where I grew up.  I remember when I was in second grade seeing pictures of my cousin in Florida wearing a cap & gown for his Kindergarten graduation.  I almost started to feel jealous until it dawned on my how ridiculous that concept was. 

Was also baffled by the people at my high school graduation acting like they actually accomplished something.  It's one thing to mark it as a rite of passage, but FFS high school was not hard.  You pretty much had to show up most days and you'd graduate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2014, 01:17:39 PM
Was also baffled by the people at my high school graduation acting like they actually accomplished something.  It's one thing to mark it as a rite of passage, but FFS high school was not hard.  You pretty much had to show up most days and you'd graduate.

For some kids showing up most days is an accomplishment.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Heh I knew plenty of people who worked their asses off to pass standardized tests and their classes to graduate.  Some people are just not very smart.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2014, 01:10:23 PM
Tommy starts 1st grade next year.  We have a "graduation" thing for his kindergarten class tomorrow, the concept of which annoys me to no end.

I had one for Kindergarten, I had one for third grade (because my school went from 1st to 3rd), and then another for fifth grade.  I was getting pretty good at graduating by the time I was a Senior in HS.

I was pissed off we never had a grade 8 grad.  In some ways it would have been more meaningful for me than my highschool grad - I'd been with that group of kids for much longer.

Interesting, we had;
K-6 elementary
7-8 junior high
9-12 high school
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2014, 05:07:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2014, 01:10:23 PM

Interesting, we had;
K-6 elementary
7-8 junior high
9-12 high school

for me it was k-7 and 8-12

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2014, 10:16:20 AM
The twins are formally promoted to 1st Grade next year :)

They might get that Wii U they want. Gaming n00bs.  :rolleyes:

Oh, and I put an Xbox 360 in his room, mainly for him & me to watch Netflix and for him to play his Lego games.  Made the mistake of buying him that new Plants Vs. Zombies game, not knowing it was an online-only FPS.  The good news is that practically everyone else who plays that game sounds like they're also about his age.

Sorry.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2014, 01:43:13 PM
:lol:

The trick, I'm led to believe, is too serve them their supper again for breakfast, lunch, etc until they eat it.

Yeah, Mom tried that gambit too, until I figured out I could vomit it up in one of those crying frenzies, the kind where you're crying so hard you start choking and gagging.

Knocked that shit off right there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2014, 01:17:39 PM
Any graduation ceremony before high school graduation was unheard of where I grew up.  I remember when I was in second grade seeing pictures of my cousin in Florida wearing a cap & gown for his Kindergarten graduation.  I almost started to feel jealous until it dawned on my how ridiculous that concept was.

We had a little event at the end of 6th grade since we were leaving the elementary school, but it wasn't to the degree some of these productions are now.   

QuoteWas also baffled by the people at my high school graduation acting like they actually accomplished something.  It's one thing to mark it as a rite of passage, but FFS high school was not hard.  You pretty much had to show up most days and you'd graduate.

I don't think I flipped the bird so many times in one day as I did at high school graduation.  So glad to get out of that fucking zoo and away from all that bullshit and those bullshitters.

Ed Anger

I didn't go to graduation. In fact, it took me 6 months to drag my ass to the school to pick up my diploma.

Fuck them and their stupid cap and gowns.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2014, 09:26:34 PM
I didn't go to graduation. In fact, it took me 6 months to drag my ass to the school to pick up my diploma.

Fuck them and their stupid cap and gowns.

I tried that angle at high school, but the parental units didn't make it an option.  College, well, that was my option.  Sold those tickets at a real nice margin.

Ed Anger

I also hadn't had a school picture since 6th grade. Or bought a yearbook or class ring.

merithyn

Max, Jackson, and Carter all tried the "I don't want to walk the stage" with me. :mad:

Jeremy was smart enough not to bother trying it. :sleep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...