Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Ariel calls genital area "Intimité"

I am responsible for that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Henry had his first big two year old temper tantrum at age 22 months.  It was an epic battle to get him to eat his green beans.  This went on for quite some time with me trying to get him to eat them and him screaming 'no' and calling for mommy until my wife just walked up, grabbed the beans, and jammed them in his mouth.  Then I had to stop him from spitting them out.  Using physical force seems like cheating  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2014, 09:52:34 AM
Henry had his first big two year old temper tantrum at age 22 months.  It was an epic battle to get him to eat his green beans.  This went on for quite some time with me trying to get him to eat them and him screaming 'no' and calling for mommy until my wife just walked up, grabbed the beans, and jammed them in his mouth.  Then I had to stop him from spitting them out.  Using physical force seems like cheating  :(

I don't like to second guess other parent's strategies, but that doesn't sound like a good one...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

What would you have done?  Leave him alone till he eats them?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2014, 11:21:35 AM

What we try to do is not make a big deal about it.  If he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat - but he doesn't get anything else either.  They also have to sit at the table with us, even if not eating.

Which has led to my kids coming back to their supper an hour or two later to finish eating.  But the basic idea is to avoid making it a power struggle.

We tried the "you're not leaving the table until you finish your supper".  Damn kid sat there for two hours.

crazy canuck

Using physical force seems like cheating  :(

If you are using physical force on your children to make them do what you want, you probably want to rethink your strategy.

Grey Fox

I use the It's ok if you don't want to eat anymore but the next time you eat will be tomorrow morning at breakfast strategy.

It works fairly well.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2014, 12:41:40 PM
I use the It's ok if you don't want to eat anymore but the next time you eat will be tomorrow morning at breakfast strategy.

It works fairly well.

That was my plan of action. It worked great... until the boys realized we had a pantry filled with foods they liked... and we slept at night.

The padlock went on the pantry when we found all of the empty cheesy cracker wrappings stuffed behind the flour.  :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 28, 2014, 01:04:31 PM

It works fairly well.

That was my plan of action. It worked great... until the boys realized we had a pantry filled with foods they liked... and we slept at night.

The padlock went on the pantry when we found all of the empty cheesy cracker wrappings stuffed behind the flour.  :glare:

How old were they when that happened?

Valmy

That was my plan :P

I just thought it was funny.  You guys are such weenies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2014, 12:32:40 PM
  Using physical force seems like cheating  :(

If you are using physical force on your children to make them do what you want, you probably want to rethink your strategy.

I never use force, unless there is a safety issue -_- My strategy is to bore them to death.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2014, 11:31:27 AM

What we try to do is not make a big deal about it.  If he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat - but he doesn't get anything else either.  They also have to sit at the table with us, even if not eating.

Which has led to my kids coming back to their supper an hour or two later to finish eating.  But the basic idea is to avoid making it a power struggle.

We tried the "you're not leaving the table until you finish your supper".  Damn kid sat there for two hours.

This is exactly what we do.  But I never gave the context of the tantrum, because it was an anecdotal story.

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on May 28, 2014, 01:04:31 PM

It works fairly well.

:lol:

The trick, I'm led to believe, is too serve them their supper again for breakfast, lunch, etc until they eat it.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2014, 01:43:13 PM
:lol:

The trick, I'm led to believe, is too serve them their supper again for breakfast, lunch, etc until they eat it.

That sounds like a big bother.  I have to do the dishes sometime.