Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2013, 03:35:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2013, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 09:37:24 AM
You'll get used to it. 

PRC, if you do you are doing something wrong. 

I meant you'll get used to feeling guilty.  Not that you wouldn't feel guilt.

lessen the guilt by saying that the little one is cute while crying. It helps a little.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

I spent the day yesterday with my son, Jackson. He called and asked me out to dinner - his treat. We had plans to drive up to Chicago for the book signing that night, so since I'd taken the day off, we decided to do lunch instead.

He was so cute! He came to the house on his scooter, which he very proudly showed off to me. Then, we went out to eat, and he was careful to let me know that I could order whatever I wanted since he was paying. :D

We chatted about life, the universe, and everything. He's getting promoted to shift manager at the end of the month, and will also be in charge of Carter when he gets back here and starts working at the same place. So, we talked about how he should handle that, etc. We talked about him going back to school in the fall to study International Business. We talked about the fact that I have to be nice to all of his girlfriends now, because we'll never know which one will end up my daughter-in-law. (He came to a full stop when I said this, and his eyes got big before he said, "Wow. Yeah, I never thought about that, but it makes sense.")

It's so much fun dealing with them as adults now. I mean, I loved them when they were snuggle-bugs, too, but this is a whole new world. I'm intensely proud of him. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

When Tommy gets to that age I pretty much just imagine me continuing to yell at him, just at a higher volume :lol:

The wife had to take over for me when we were doing homework the other night.  He had no problem handling the material (in fact he was a little bored with it), but his lack of focus was getting on my nerves.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2013, 10:43:04 AM
When Tommy gets to that age I pretty much just imagine me continuing to yell at him, just at a higher volume :lol:

The wife had to take over for me when we were doing homework the other night.  He had no problem handling the material (in fact he was a little bored with it), but his lack of focus was getting on my nerves.

I thought the same, but there's a change that happens once they're out of high school. You realize that it's no longer about your plans for them, and it's all about their plans for themselves. All we can do is help them figure out what those plans are, and then support them while they get there.

It's very liberating, really. I still worry about him, of course, but it's a different kind of worrying. One that doesn't require that I lecture or yell at him. More of the, "Please don't pick a girl I hate to marry! Please don't pick a job that takes you too far away from me!" kind of worrying.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

katmai

Ideologue

Make sure to space them out over the course of a day; we want to maintain our current orbit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 05:42:04 PM
Make sure to space them out over the course of a day; we want to maintain our current orbit.
:lmfao:

Ed Anger

katmai

Yep I'll be at your funeral with bells on. :)