Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2012, 11:19:56 PM
We're looking into music lessons for Timmy.

Hockey can wait till he's 5.

:huh:

Don't stop at that. I'm pretty sure he will have at least one or two more hours left a day for other extracurricular activities you can make him join that he currently spends on this unproductive and useless activity other people call childhood.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 01:30:09 AM

Don't stop at that. I'm pretty sure he will have at least one or two more hours left a day for other extracurricular activities you can make him join that he currently spends on this unproductive and useless activity other people call childhood.

:rolleyes:

At the age of two, he currently has zero organized activities.  I'm pretty sure he can handle music lessons and hockey while still having a full childhood.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Polack childhood:

Hunt the Jew
Dig for potatoes!
Screwing in lighbulbs
Black bread
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2012, 09:14:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 01:30:09 AM

:rolleyes:

At the age of two, he currently has zero organized activities.  I'm pretty sure he can handle music lessons and hockey while still having a full childhood.

At the age of two, he has no business attending music classes. This is retarded and a sure way to make him hate music.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2012, 09:18:02 AM
Polack childhood:

Hunt the Jew
Dig for potatoes!
Screwing in lighbulbs
Black bread

:lol:

And might I add to the list:  "Learn Russian"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2012, 09:22:07 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2012, 09:18:02 AM
Polack childhood:

Hunt the Jew
Dig for potatoes!
Screwing in lighbulbs
Black bread

:lol:

And might I add to the list:  "Learn Russian"

And German.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 09:21:28 AM
At the age of two, he has no business attending music classes. This is retarded and a sure way to make him hate music.

Glad to know you're an expert on raising children.  Whatever would I do without you to tell me what to do martinus?   :lol:

Depending on when he might start music lessons for kids his age are very much targeted on simply enjoying and exploring music, and aren't about sitting down to practice scales or any such formality.

DGuller

:yes: No matter how smart Timmy is for his age, he's at his age.  My parents pushed piano lessons on me, so that I could play piano just like my sister, and this didn't work out well for anyone.  Music lessons are hard work, and you have to be able to appreciate what you're doing.  At least it taught me the value of saying "no" to my parents, which they may or may not have appreciated.  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2012, 09:29:38 AM
:yes: No matter how smart Timmy is for his age, he's at his age.  My parents pushed piano lessons on me, so that I could play piano just like my sister, and this didn't work out well for anyone.  Music lessons are hard work, and you have to be able to appreciate what you're doing.  At least it taught me the value of saying "no" to my parents, which they may or may not have appreciated.  :hmm:

You guys have no clue what toddler music class is like.  :lol:

As BB has said, it ain't sitting at a piano bench learning scales (I hated that too, BTW).

Carl is doing that stuff now, and he's pretty good at it, but when he was a tot he went to "music class" for tots - and it was all about playing and singing. He enjoyed it, a lot. All the kids did.

It's like letting kids loose in a playroom with plastercene, construction paper and glitter glue and calling it "art class". They are not busy learning perspective and how to shade a sphere!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I don't really care if he learns a damn thing.

He just seems to really enjoy music and singing, so I figure lets try and expose him to something beyond my tone-deaf attempts at song.

Razgovory

It's nice to see that the Canadian crowd has the wit not to listen to Eastern Europeans.  It occurs to me Barrister is descended from Eastern Europeans and Malthus probably is, so maybe they are just further down the evolutionary track.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

They are descendents of the pre-communists immigrants, so they are not criminals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I just play alice in chains real loud in the car. 4 year olds singing along to rooster? Priceless.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2012, 09:46:14 AM
You guys have no clue what toddler music class is like.  :lol:

As BB has said, it ain't sitting at a piano bench learning scales (I hated that too, BTW).

Carl is doing that stuff now, and he's pretty good at it, but when he was a tot he went to "music class" for tots - and it was all about playing and singing. He enjoyed it, a lot. All the kids did.

It's like letting kids loose in a playroom with plastercene, construction paper and glitter glue and calling it "art class". They are not busy learning perspective and how to shade a sphere!
Ok, I stand corrected.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2012, 09:57:04 AM
It's nice to see that the Canadian crowd has the wit not to listen to Eastern Europeans.  It occurs to me Barrister is descended from Eastern Europeans and Malthus probably is, so maybe they are just further down the evolutionary track.

I think Barrister has a Polish-Ukrainian wife and Malthus a Ukrainian wife, so your argument sucks.