Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Malthus

Quote from: sbr on September 30, 2012, 11:41:49 AM
:)  How old is Carl?

He's six - he will be seven in December.

His main interests so far appear to be knights and ninjas.  :lol:

I asked him if the king in the story was a good guy or a bad guy. He said, "he's a king. Wanting gold is what kings do".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2012, 03:48:24 PM
Christ, he's already nerd.

On the other hand, he's also very into sports. He's playing real hockey now. Which is more than I ever did.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

So Timmy has a very set routine for saying goodbye and saying goodnight.  We give him a hug, a kiss (usually on the lips, sometimes on the forehead), and a high five.

We were at a big family gathering all day yesterday.  When it was time to start getting ready to leave, we tell Timmy to say goodbye (because of course all the aunties love getting hugs and kisses from toddlers).  Except he turns away from one Great Auntie, and turns to a 3-4 year old second cousin he's been playing with during the day.  He goes to him and gives him a hug - cousin looks at him funny.  He goes to give him a high five - the two boys kind of flail their arms around, but eventually manage to connect.

Then Timmy wants to give him a kiss.  Little cousin wants nothing to do with a kiss, and pulls away.  It degenerates into the Timmy chasing his little cousin around a sofa several times going "Kiss! Kiss!". :lol:

Sooner or later we'll have to teach him some restrictions on PDAs, but at 2 it's just cute.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I dread the twins playing soccer (church league thing). First, 4 and 5 year olds don't know how to play. Blue shirted mob attacks yellow shirt mob. Second, My kids treat fouls like personal insults that must be avenged. Third, the coach (a nice guy but a doofus) insists on splitting them up on the field. Play starts, they both leave their "position" and merge into this killing machine within the blue mob. Fourth, Katerina wants to pick the ball up and run over people.

PRAY FOR ME.

CountDeMoney

Shit, when my littlest niece started playing soccer at 4, she'd trail off from the action, picking dandelions and taking them to my mother on the sideline in the middle of the game.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2012, 12:51:12 PM
Shit, when my littlest niece started playing soccer at 4, she'd trail off from the action, picking dandelions and taking them to my mother on the sideline in the middle of the game.

My parents tell me that when I was in the field in t-ball I'd sit down and start picking at the dandelions, and not be bothered if a ball rolled by me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

That stuff happens in the 2nd half.  :lol: They get tired of it all and just wander around. Or the DADDY IS GETTING US ICE CREAM AFTER THE GAME trigger hits and they just start killing time. Or if a cat comes near the field, kitty must be petted.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2012, 12:52:23 PM

My parents tell me that when I was in the field in t-ball I'd sit down and start picking at the dandelions, and not be bothered if a ball rolled by me.

I couldn't even hit the ball when it was on the tee. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

I was pretty good at t-ball.  Things went downhill once the other kids starting throwing the ball at me.  Go up there with a bat?  Can I take the catcher's gear instead?

CountDeMoney

My mother pulled me out of Little League because I got a D in Math.  Who knows, I may have developed a wicked curveball with a backdoor slider as a lefty.  We'll never know BECAUSE FRACTIONS WERE MORE FUCKING IMPORTANT

Syt

I was interested in joining the local football club when I was a kid, but my parents said it was too expensive, what with membership fees and having to buy the equipment. We were: poor. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2012, 12:32:19 PM
So Timmy has a very set routine for saying goodbye and saying goodnight.  We give him a hug, a kiss (usually on the lips, sometimes on the forehead), and a high five.

We were at a big family gathering all day yesterday.  When it was time to start getting ready to leave, we tell Timmy to say goodbye (because of course all the aunties love getting hugs and kisses from toddlers).  Except he turns away from one Great Auntie, and turns to a 3-4 year old second cousin he's been playing with during the day.  He goes to him and gives him a hug - cousin looks at him funny.  He goes to give him a high five - the two boys kind of flail their arms around, but eventually manage to connect.

Then Timmy wants to give him a kiss.  Little cousin wants nothing to do with a kiss, and pulls away.  It degenerates into the Timmy chasing his little cousin around a sofa several times going "Kiss! Kiss!". :lol:

Sooner or later we'll have to teach him some restrictions on PDAs, but at 2 it's just cute.

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 02:28:49 PM
Another "where did he get that from" moment.

Tracy was cleaning the kitchen.  Timmy takes a biscuit cutter, puts it on his head, and says "I'm a princess!".

Do you see me saying anything? No. Nothing. Zitch. Nada.