Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 03:09:36 PM
Potty training is Not Fun.

We actually have Timmy's potty set up right next to the kitchen table.  So there, America.

Dont come run crying to us when you find turds in your kitchen well into his teens.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on September 05, 2012, 03:48:57 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 05, 2012, 02:47:25 PM
Speaking of schools, my wife yesterday asked me about homeschooling. She wanted me to go to this home school bookstore and being a cool cat, I humored her.

I laughed my ass off. Rod and Staff books. HILARIOUS.

I told my wife I'm teaching the kids history. SULLA WAS A ROMAN PATRIOT. But I think the material there turned her off home schooling.

The curriculum from Calvert could be much worse, and in Ohio they even have some sort of online partnership with local schools.
http://www.calvertschool.org/

Calvert is secular. Looks a bit too rigid for her purposes.

But I'll send the link along.  :)

I may go with my fight club idea and have the twins beat the shit out of the neighborhood kids. MIGHT MAKES RIGHT.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Speaking of schools, my wife yesterday asked me about homeschooling. She wanted me to go to this home school bookstore and being a cool cat, I humored her.

I told my wife I'm teaching the kids history. SULLA WAS A ROMAN PATRIOT. But I think the material there turned her off home schooling.

So are all homeschooling things designed for Fundamentalist Christians?

Is there a 'make your own Tim Tebow' curriculum?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2012, 08:16:31 PM

Is there a 'make your own Tim Tebow' curriculum?

There was a set by an imprint from a major publisher. Saxon books I think. It seemed ok.

Most of it was in cuckoo territory however.

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2012, 08:16:31 PM

No.  As noted upthread, Calvert is nonsectarian from K-8, and the University of Nebraska at least used to have a full high-school curriculum available.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

derspiess

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 06, 2012, 09:19:02 AM
At least she had the decency to bring a training toilet.
In China the kids pee and poo wherever they want. :(

They still do that?  My aunt & uncle went to China in the late 80s and were horrified by that.  They said kids have a fly opening on the back of their pants so they can squat down wherever they are and take a dump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah. In Shanghai they'll usually (but not always) hold the kid over a trash can or put the kid on the grass. Many little kids, 2 and younger, still wear split open pants.

Fortunately, I've only had a kid piss in my class once.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2012, 09:22:29 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 06, 2012, 09:19:02 AM
At least she had the decency to bring a training toilet.
In China the kids pee and poo wherever they want. :(

They still do that?  My aunt & uncle went to China in the late 80s and were horrified by that.  They said kids have a fly opening on the back of their pants so they can squat down wherever they are and take a dump.
I recall reading some piece on NYT that extolled the virtues of bottomless children shitting on the floor rather than into a diaper, and that the author planned to have his children do that as well.

Razgovory

I suppose this is as good thread as any to toss in some photos of my niece.

Frowny baby

Cardinals Baby

Happy baby!

Ain't she the cutest thing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Raz, as an Uncle, it is your duty to spoil her rotten. Feed the kid candy, ignoring any instructions from the parents.

In fact, blow your nose into any written instructions given to you.