Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

:thumbsup:

For the content of the thread, keep it coming.

And I say that as a definitive non-breeder.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

My smug story for the day - Carl is getting quite good at playing the piano, and he has a recital on Thursday. He rather enjoys it. He can play many songs with reading the music as he goes, and at least three songs from memory.

Being Carl, he makes every practice into a full concert - he mimes collecting money from the audience (my wife and I), issues us tickets, and gets my wife to act as announcer; then he comes in, takes a bow, sits down and plays - he usually can't resist making Rock-star type gestures while playing  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2012, 03:38:51 PM
My smug story for the day - Carl is getting quite good at playing the piano, and he has a recital on Thursday. He rather enjoys it. He can play many songs with reading the music as he goes, and at least three songs from memory.

Being Carl, he makes every practice into a full concert - he mimes collecting money from the audience (my wife and I), issues us tickets, and gets my wife to act as announcer; then he comes in, takes a bow, sits down and plays - he usually can't resist making Rock-star type gestures while playing  :D

Dang, that's pretty cool.  How old is he now?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2012, 03:46:42 PM

He's six.

I can't play a note myself (my parents tried to get me to take piano lessons and I hated it so much I refused to go), so I'm tickled pink that at six he can already do something I can't.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2012, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2012, 03:46:42 PM

He's six.

I can't play a note myself (my parents tried to get me to take piano lessons and I hated it so much I refused to go), so I'm tickled pink that at six he can already do something I can't.  :D

When did you start with Carl?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

My oldest is 18 today.  That makes me feel pretty old.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2012, 04:13:21 PM

He's been playing for seven months or so - so when he was just turned six.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2012, 08:13:51 AM

Ah.  I'd like tim to play an instrument, potentially piano, but am unsure when to start him.  5 seemed the earliest possible, 6 maybe more realistic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2012, 09:02:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2012, 08:13:51 AM

Ah.  I'd like tim to play an instrument, potentially piano, but am unsure when to start him.  5 seemed the earliest possible, 6 maybe more realistic.

Dunno if you can access it, but here's a video my mother took of one of the songs at his recital (he's playing a duet with his teacher): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBzPTzp9tkc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ed Anger

The twins ran into the neighborhood kid they just can't stand. They opened the hostilities and Cassandra went berserker on him.  :)

My wife had to pull her off him and was was doing that authoritarian full name bullshit. CASSANDRA MARIA HAWKINS, YOU ARE IS SERIOUS TROUBLE YOUNG LADY. YOU JUST WAIT UNTIL WE GET HOME.

Me? Shit. Eating. Grin.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son