Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 31, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
Ariel did not have a good birthday. We went to the restaurant, she wasn't an happy camper. She didn't eat anything & puker on her grand mother.

We ended up eating at home.

You took a 1-year-old child to a restaurant for her birthday, and you're surprised she was miserable? :huh:

Oh honey.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 31, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
Ariel did not have a good birthday. We went to the restaurant, she wasn't an happy camper. She didn't eat anything & puker on her grand mother.

You took a 1-year-old child to a restaurant for her birthday, and you're surprised she was miserable? :huh:

Oh honey.

I dunno - it can be hit-and-miss for restaurants.  Be prepared to pull the pin quickly, but it can work.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

We wound up sending little Timmy to his grandparents tonight - his big party is on the weekend.

Sure, we gots lots ready for his brother or sister tonight.  But I still miss the little guy. :(

Grey Fox

Oh honey.

No I am not, I was against the idea.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2012, 12:04:48 AM
We wound up sending little Timmy to his grandparents tonight - his big party is on the weekend.

Sure, we gots lots ready for his brother or sister tonight.  But I still miss the little guy. :(

We have Henry's room all ready and moved David into an actual bed already.  It was the first time he has really had to deal with the stress of big changes in his environment, we wanted to get them out of the way before little bro gets here so David wouldn't be overwhelmed.  Is that the sort of thing you are getting ready for his sibling?  This has worked pretty well because he was kind of upset at first and I am glad he will not link this big change, at least, to his brother.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

The latest hilarious games for little Timmy:

If me or my wife are sitting on the couch and get up he will race to where you were just sitting, climb up and give you an excited look.  We are then expected to say "I was sitting there!" at which time we are supposed to either pretend to sit on him, or tickle him mercelessly to get our seat back.  If we don't do that he'll even prompt the game by yelling "I was sitting there!".  :)

It's a bit of a pain though if you really did want to get up and move somewhere else though...

And valmy, yes to your question from 2 weeks ago.  We are trying to make the big changes for Tim before the baby comes, so as to minimize the number of big changes all at once.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2012, 11:31:03 AM
We are trying to make the big changes for Tim before the baby comes, so as to minimize the number of big changes all at once.

My sister did a really good job prepping my niece for her impending sister's arrival;  kept hitting on the subject that babies will need attention from Mommy and Daddy, and that she won't be forgotten.  She even did the same thing my mother did with me when my little sister arrived--I was the official "diaper-getter" when my sister needed changing  :lol:  It got Caeleigh invested in her little sister's care, and she loved being a part of it.

Be sure to make some "Tim Time", too--I distinctly remember my parents and I having our own time every Friday night, having pizza and letting me stay up late to watch Six Million Dollar Man.  That stuff matters.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2012, 10:17:45 PM

Oh honey.

I dunno - it can be hit-and-miss for restaurants.  Be prepared to pull the pin quickly, but it can work.

Malthus sure-fire tricks to happy restauranteering with a 1 year old (or at least, sure fire for ours  :D ):

1. Those train toys with magnets at both ends - turns the table into a giant train set. Can the trains make it around the salt & pepper shakers?

2. Box full of kleenex - baby can pull the kleenex out of the box; you can then put them back. Endless fun!

3. If all else fails - there is always the iPod.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2012, 12:04:48 AM

Amazing how weird & sorta empty the house feels, doesn't it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2012, 12:04:43 PM
We are trying to make the big changes for Tim before the baby comes, so as to minimize the number of big changes all at once.

My sister did a really good job prepping my niece for her impending sister's arrival;  kept hitting on the subject that babies will need attention from Mommy and Daddy, and that she won't be forgotten.  She even did the same thing my mother did with me when my little sister arrived--I was the official "diaper-getter" when my sister needed changing  :lol:  It got Caeleigh invested in her little sister's care, and she loved being a part of it.

Be sure to make some "Tim Time", too--I distinctly remember my parents and I having our own time every Friday night, having pizza and letting me stay up late to watch Six Million Dollar Man.  That stuff matters.

We got off to a great start with Tommy, but he slipped into a slightly jealous phase for a while that was occasionally pretty damned annoying.  Now he's generally okay but loves picking on Lola, who recently started to fight back. 

She started taking up for herself by letting out some primal scream and then biting his arm.  Now she takes whatever toy is close-by and beats him on the head.  At some point I'll probably start intervening.  For now it's too damned funny watching a short little 1-year old go nuts on her 4-year old brother. :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2012, 02:56:32 PM
We got off to a great start with Tommy, but he slipped into a slightly jealous phase for a while that was occasionally pretty damned annoying.

The oldest had a jealousy-regression phase as well, like talking in baby talk that simply wasn't appropriate, or mimicking the little one's baby actions.  Gotta watch for that stuff.

Malthus

We got off to a great start with Tommy, but he slipped into a slightly jealous phase for a while that was occasionally pretty damned annoying.  Now he's generally okay but loves picking on Lola, who recently started to fight back. 

She started taking up for herself by letting out some primal scream and then biting his arm.  Now she takes whatever toy is close-by and beats him on the head.  At some point I'll probably start intervening.  For now it's too damned funny watching a short little 1-year old go nuts on her 4-year old brother. :ph34r:

You can play that music from the original Star Trek "amok time".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I'm pretty sure you can count on another 14 years of that. :ph34r:

I have no doubt we're going to have some ugly jealousy issues.  Ah well.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2012, 03:04:55 PM
We got off to a great start with Tommy, but he slipped into a slightly jealous phase for a while that was occasionally pretty damned annoying.

The oldest had a jealousy-regression phase as well, like talking in baby talk that simply wasn't appropriate, or mimicking the little one's baby actions.  Gotta watch for that stuff.

One of my best friend's kids did that, and it was pretty bizarre.  Tommy just sat there & made demands for things when we were busy changing Lola or something.  He still sometimes tries to act like he's still an only child, but I think he's grown past the jealousy phase for the most part.

Barrister

Another smug story: with virtually no prompting by me, Timmy's favourite game when we're outside is to play hockey.  We each have a mini-stick and we whack a little red ball around the driveway.  :cool:

He also loves riding his trike - except he doesn't pedal, he just pushes himself along with his feet.  Except yesterday - he put his feet on the pedals, he pushed, and moved 3-4 inches.  He says "I did it!".

then he kept pushing with his feet the rest of the way. :frusty: