Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It's generally only reserved if kids are sick.

What's weird is the kids have started to sleeping in each other's beds.  The two older kids have bunk beds in one room, with Joshua in his own toddler bed in a second room.  But now on many nights Timothy and Andrew are sleeping in the same bed of the bunkbeds, and for a couple of nights Joshua is was sleeping in the bunk beds as well. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2017, 11:56:02 AM

Yeah. It's amazing how loud a persistent sniffle can be when the kid jams his face right into your eat.

QuoteWhat's weird is the kids have started to sleeping in each other's beds.  The two older kids have bunk beds in one room, with Joshua in his own toddler bed in a second room.  But now on many nights Timothy and Andrew are sleeping in the same bed of the bunkbeds, and for a couple of nights Joshua is was sleeping in the bunk beds as well. :unsure:

That's adorable :)

... also seems like good brotherly bonding.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2017, 09:41:09 AM
So my older two kids were "blankie" kids - they each had their favourite blankie that they had to have with them.  Hell even going on 7 Timmy still likes to have his favourite blankie near him in bed (but doesn't freak out if it isn't).  Andrews, being a thinner blanket, is barely hanging on by a few threads.

This was Carter and Jackson. Both still have their blankies, which are gross because they're afraid that if they wash them they'll fall apart. (There's value in this concern.) They may never outgrow this.

QuoteJoshua though... in the last 3-4 months has latched on to a stuffed animal.  It's a small stuffy snow leopard from the Winnipeg Zoo.  His name is "Leopardee".  So Leopardee has to go everywhere with Joshua now.  He comes for all the car rides (though usually we can convince him that he should stay in the car).  He absolutely has to be there at bed time.  Heck Sunday morning I woke up to Joshie screaming "Leopardee!" because he couldn't find him once he woke up.

Carter had a stuffed bunny that he named Lucky. He carried that thing with him everywhere.

When I moved to Portland, I found Lucky... a filthy, earless stuffed bunny that had been tucked away in a box. I washed him thoroughly. As soon as I can grab Carter's blanket without his knowledge, I'm going to take a strip from it to make new ears for Lucky. And then one day, I'll put Lucky in the bassinet of Carter's first child to look out for him, just like Lucky looked out for Carter.

Don't lose these things, BB. They seem silly, but in 20 years, they'll be your memories... and theirs.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2017, 11:56:02 AM

What's weird is the kids have started to sleeping in each other's beds.  The two older kids have bunk beds in one room, with Joshua in his own toddler bed in a second room.  But now on many nights Timothy and Andrew are sleeping in the same bed of the bunkbeds, and for a couple of nights Joshua is was sleeping in the bunk beds as well. :unsure:

:wub:

I remember those days...

Now they whine if they have to sleep on the same floor in the same house...  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2017, 04:42:41 PM
Now they whine if they have to sleep on the same floor in the same house...  <_<

:lol:

Kids today :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

It was Andrew's first day of kindergarten today!

I don't know - he just seemed so grown up today.  I went with him to drop him off.  He did everything his teacher asked him to do.  There's even a couple of kids from his soccer team this summer in his class.  I know he's going to rock kindergarten.   :cool:

Tracy took a quick video of Andrew walking over.  She was asking him a few questions.  She asked him how excited he was.  He thought about it for a bit and said "as much as I love you". :wub:

Poor Joshua was all out of sorts though.  He felt very sad that he isn't going to school.  His spirits should pick up when pre-school starts next week though.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2017, 12:14:27 PM
Tracy took a quick video of Andrew walking over.  She was asking him a few questions.  She asked him how excited he was.  He thought about it for a bit and said "as much as I love you". :wub:

That can be interpreted different ways. you're raising a lawyer :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

I came home from work yesterday.  Tim was sitting up at the kitchen counter reading a book about hockey.  I asked him "Hey do you need to read that for school?"

"No.  I just wanted to read"

:)

Tim's reading is just fine, but I remember at his age I was a voracious reader, and so far he hasn't been super into it.  Was nice to see him reading it on his own.  Even if it was a kid's book about Wayne Gretzky.  :yucky:

Barrister

Super-duper hockey focused day today.  Tim had a game, then the boys both had hockey photos (of course on opposite sides of the city), then Andrew's practice.

The main thing I wanted to post about was the team manager took the jerseys last week... and brought them back with name bars on them for today.  It was surprisingly awesome to see Timmy skating down the ice with [Barrister] stitched on the back of his sweater.  :cry: He even scored his first goal of the season. :cool:

It was also cool to see that they played a whole team of girls.  I know girls play hockey - heck his team has one as well, and she's a good player.  But apparently someone organized an entire girls-only hockey organization, and they played our SW Edmonton team to a hard-fought 5-5 tie (with Tim scoring the tieing goal).

That being said though, the most awesome thing about weekends is when I get to lace up my own skates and get out there with the kindergarteners on Andrew's team for an hour as an assistant coach. 

Grey Fox

I hope you come visit when you go on father-son professional team hockey trip & the team visit the Habs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2017, 08:29:50 AM
I hope you come visit when you go on father-son professional team hockey trip & the team visit the Habs.

That would be cool.  I'd love to see a game in Montreal one day.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2017, 02:10:41 PM

Yes, having your son bring you on a father-son trip with his NHL team would be cool.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2017, 08:36:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2017, 02:10:41 PM

Yes, having your son bring you on a father-son trip with his NHL team would be cool.

Don't you go feeding me any "my son in the NHL" dreams.  Timmy is slightly better than average - but there are tons of kids in Edmonton alone better than he is.