Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

She handled a bike without training wheels no problem.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2016, 07:03:15 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2016, 06:57:49 AM
Americans have it in High School, no?

Yeah though I took it in a summer course.

Note that it is, of course, different from state to state.

True story: my driving instructor refused to take me on the highway. "They don't pay me enough to risk my life for that".

So I just had to teach myself highway driving. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

In WV it was a class they offered during a regular semester.  Private driving schools/instructors were a bit of an oddity.  Here in Ohio it's not offered in schools at all, which still seems weird to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2016, 04:30:08 PM

True story: my driving instructor refused to take me on the highway. "They don't pay me enough to risk my life for that".

One of my friends took drivers ed through the Detroit Public School System.  He said they never got on the open road at all; all driving was done either by simulator or in the parking lot.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

When I learned to drive, it was an actual semester course in 10th grade, and the county school system owned the cars used for the practical part of Drivers Ed.  Probably not the case anymore, no use teaching something that's not on the federal and state standards tests.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2016, 09:27:32 AM
When I learned to drive, it was an actual semester course in 10th grade, and the county school system owned the cars used for the practical part of Drivers Ed. 

My school had a couple sweet Plymouth Reliants.  One beige and one red.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2016, 10:11:04 AM
My school had a couple sweet Plymouth Reliants.  One beige and one red.

lol, yeah, it was around that time.  No frills K-cars.  No AC, no radios.  :lol:  I think we had a couple shitty '84 Chevy Nova nightmares as well. 

Jesus H Christ, cars were so bad back then.  How the fuck does the namesake for the Malibu become a hatchback.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2016, 09:07:08 PM

In WV it was a class they offered during a regular semester.  Private driving schools/instructors were a bit of an oddity.  Here in Ohio it's not offered in schools at all, which still seems weird to me.

When I was in High School it was offered as a regular semester and a summer course.  I took the Summer Course.  I was an idiot back then and took a whole bunch of extra classes.  In 9th Grade I had a class (science) after the school closed for everyone else.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2016, 04:30:08 PM

Which is an idiotic attitude, as highways are the safest roads.  Which doesn't mean that you still don't need to be taught the basics.  But my instructors had the same attitude, so I had to learn it on my own as well.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2016, 08:16:52 PM
And you didn't even make meth.  Way to go, McFly.

Before I was insane I was the ambitious little worker bee. :blush:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

As soon as the bell rung, I was outta there. They already stole 6 hours of my day.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 21, 2016, 08:28:41 PM
Which is an idiotic attitude, as highways are the safest roads.  Which doesn't mean that you still don't need to be taught the basics.  But my instructors had the same attitude, so I had to learn it on my own as well.

Safest in terms of property or in terms of casualty?

Ed Anger

I taught my twins the secret family Recipie for chili. Now the little shits can cook for me.

Yes Val, with beans. Suck on that.