Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2016, 10:50:28 AM
Probably a cultural thing. Our football tournaments were definitely a parent-free zone, and that was part of the experience. Hanging out with the teammates, travelling to the match together, esprit de corps... this kind of thing.

I'm sure it is-- on top of the fact that nobody gave a shit about sports in that household.  It was all art, academics, whatever the girls are doing, blah blah blah.  If you were a male in the house you just pretty much stayed out of the way until something needed fixed.  Much less nagging.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2016, 10:36:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2016, 10:04:31 AM
My parents never drove me to my football matches, neither did the parents of my teammates. Then again, all matches where in and around Barcelona so there wasn't usually a need. We just bused or rode the subway.

My first time in Buenos Aires my brother in law had a soccer championship game that nobody in the family bothered to attend.  I had no knowledge of it until he arrived back home with a big trophy.  I was horrified that none of the family went to watch him.  I'd have gone.

Probably a cultural thing. Our football tournaments were definitely a parent-free zone, and that was part of the experience. Hanging out with the teammates, travelling to the match together, esprit de corps... this kind of thing.

:cry: :hug:
Yeah, I can see how that narrative would help with the abandonment issues.

:P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2016, 11:09:33 AM

I'm sure it is-- on top of the fact that nobody gave a shit about sports in that household.  It was all art, academics, whatever the girls are doing, blah blah blah.  If you were a male in the house you just pretty much stayed out of the way until something needed fixed.  Much less nagging.

That's a pretty weird Argentinian household.  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2016, 11:16:53 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2016, 11:09:33 AM

That's a pretty weird Argentinian household.  :lol:

So I'm told.  They get on the World Cup bandwagon every 4 years and pretend to be into rugby because that's a class identity thing.  But that's about it. 

Side note-- my wife has 5 sisters and 2 brothers.  So males were outnumbered more than 2 to 1.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2016, 09:56:35 AM
Quote from: Gups on October 18, 2016, 08:32:29 AM
You guys are idiots.

I know.  Already my Saturday's are ruined - Andrew has skating lessons at 9:45, then Timmy has hockey practice at 1:15.  Wait till next year when all three are in organized sports... :(

Weren't these people just born?  WTF?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2016, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2016, 09:56:35 AM
Quote from: Gups on October 18, 2016, 08:32:29 AM
You guys are idiots.

I know.  Already my Saturday's are ruined - Andrew has skating lessons at 9:45, then Timmy has hockey practice at 1:15.  Wait till next year when all three are in organized sports... :(

Weren't these people just born?  WTF?

My youngest, Joshie, turns three today.  I agree with the WTF - wasn't he just a baby?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Started teaching my oldest to drive. Might as well since at this speed she'll be 40 by Xmas. (She's 5 going on 13 & in SCHOOL)

Bonne Fete Josh!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

QuoteMy youngest, Joshie, turns three today.  I agree with the WTF - wasn't he just a baby?

Good grief, the time. :bleeding:  I've been laid off longer than he's been alive.  :bleeding: :bleeding:

My sister bought a new car last week, a Subaru Outlback.  Loved the safety ratings "for the kids in the backseat." When I told her that she just bought the car my oldest niece (13) is going to learn how to drive in, that's when it truly hit her.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 18, 2016, 07:33:10 PM
You'll enjoy teaching a teenager to drive. Trust me.

Was it that hard teaching the wife to parallel park?  :(

Tamas

:lol:

Seriously though, it's retarded to have parents teach driving. WTF. Most of them can't really drive themselves.

In Hungary you can only learn from a certified instructor, and that one of the few cases where Hungarian legislation gets it right.

Grey Fox

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2016, 06:57:49 AM
Americans have it in High School, no?

Yeah though I took it in a summer course.

Note that it is, of course, different from state to state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive