Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So Timothy comes home from school and he has a little hand-drawn card in his backpack.  He says he didn't know it was there.

It has a little picture drawn of some trees and grass, with the caption "I love you so much Tim, From Kelsey".  :lol: :zipped:

Which reminds me of a couple weeks ago at Timothy's birthday party - the mom of one of the girls he invited (Not Kelsey) made a point of telling us how, at home, her daughter has several times told her parents that she is going to marry Tim when she grows up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

He could show someone in the back room a thing or two :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

The twins new favorite song:

Weezer's Hash Pipe.

Yes, I hope they mishear the lyrics.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

So Timmy started hockey this year.

As it turns out despite him being 6 years old, several of the kids have already been playing hockey for 1-2 years already.  Tim is definitely not one of the better players on his team.  But for what it's worth he is one of the bigger kids, and he is definitely enjoying it and can't wait to go to hockey.

But what really surprises me is this - he keeps asking to go outside and practice hockey.  And I mean practice - he wants to go outside and practice passing, for example.  This is a kid we have to pester a little bit to do his reading homework, and forget about cleaning up toys.  But he's begging me to practice hockey (road hockey, of course - we may have snow on the ground but it's way too early for the outdoor rinks to be ready).

I mean - I hated practicing anything at his age... :unsure:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2016, 10:46:11 PM
Awesome.  Sounds like maybe he'll be the enforcer :thumbsup:

Over my dead body. :thumbsdown:

Look - in the incredibly, unbelievably unlikely possibility (he is my kid, after all) that he's good enough to try and make a go of hockey for a career, there's no way I'll let him play junior hockey.  He can preserve his NCAA eligibility in Junior B. :smarty:

alfred russel

The trend of kids starting organized sports before 6 is so dumb.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: alfred russel on October 17, 2016, 10:51:44 PM

It's not like it's a new trend, or anything.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Besides though - if any of my kids are going to be athletes, it's youngest kid Joshie.  After having to wrestle with two older brothers he's a real fighter, and just turning three years old tomorrow. :wub:

Middle kid Andrew, who I may just love most of all, is definitely going to be the nerd of the litter though.

alfred russel

Quote from: HVC on October 17, 2016, 10:53:16 PM

The new trend of me having friends with 6 year olds that clue me into this stuff is what I meant. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Which begs the question: is it really an advantage if everybody is doing it?

Barrister

What HVC said.  Walter Gretzky famously had Wayne started in hockey at age 2 in his backyard rink.

I tried getting Timmy skating at age 2 (not at a backyard rink, but the local outdoor rink).  It didn't go well.  It wasn't till last year when I put him in skating lessons he started to do okay.

Don't get me wrong - he may be in 'organized hockey' but I'm actually impressed with how inclusive it is.  He's on a team of 9 players.  They have one practice, then one game, each week.  The games are on half ice - so there's two games per rink.  They play 4 on 4, and when the kids aren't playing they use centre ice to do various games and drills with them - so no kid is ever just sitting around getting bored.  And nobody keeps score at all.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2016, 10:59:02 PM

Which begs the question: is it really an advantage if everybody is doing it?

It's not an advantage for everyone, but if your genetically gifted to be a pro athlete early intervention is key. It turns a good athlete into a great one. If you were going to be mediocre then you're just a mediocre 6 year old playing around