News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need a new computer.

Started by Admiral Yi, April 25, 2012, 02:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Thanks for the advice and all, but I think I'll just go with the Dell w/ i5 CPU.

No Burger, I would not be up for assembling my own.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Peter, the video card is not good enough for gaming.  In that order, you should get a 7870, 7850, 6870 or 6850 depending on the price.

Power supply should be replaced with a 700w from a good brand as soon as you get this computer though.  I don't trust generic ps anymore.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Finally got the new PC up and running.

Lo and behold, there's no built in CD drive. :mad:

How much of a pain is it to install one?

Also, looked at the store and I can get a "half height" driver for 29.99 and a vanilla for 49.99.  WTF is with this half height business?

DGuller

Depends on how tight the working space is in your PC.  It should be very easy to install a CD drive, but with space constraints it can be a surprising PITA.

Admiral Yi

Guess I don't have much choice either way.

Any thoughts on the half height issue?

Also, comp. came with a very stripped down MS Office suite, no Outlook.  I looked at the MS site and it looks like you can't really buy Outlook stand-alone.

So should I buy the suite, or are there competitors out there i should consider?

DGuller

By the way, how often do you think you'll be using a DVD drive?  In the last few years, I find that I've only used it a couple of times, when I needed to use my Windows disk.  Is external drive an option?

Admiral Yi

I still have a couple game discs.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 06:41:58 PM
Guess I don't have much choice either way.

Any thoughts on the half height issue?

Also, comp. came with a very stripped down MS Office suite, no Outlook.  I looked at the MS site and it looks like you can't really buy Outlook stand-alone.

So should I buy the suite, or are there competitors out there i should consider?
Check www.libreoffice.org for the Office Suite.
For Outlook replacement, it depends: what is it you need from Outlook?  Collaboration with work space? Calendar?  Mail capabalities?

If it's only for mail, check out Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
Fo something else, I don't really know, but Google should give you some results :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Windows Live Mail does a decent job as a mail client.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

You can get MS Office for home for ~$100.  Still kind of pricey, but since so much of the world works on Word and Excel I found it worthwhile to buy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.