News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WoW [General Discussion]

Started by Korea, March 12, 2009, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

What I have heard is that the game pretty much plays itself until the end game where it can get really challenging in the super duper mythic content, but there is not exactly a smooth learning curve to get there. You go from barely having to do anything to having to know your class inside and out with little transition between.

But I haven't played it...just what I have heard.

Edit: That was for BFA WoW not ESO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2019, 11:09:04 AM

Some of my characters are still there, but not my highest level toon.  Not super worried because I'm not paying for an account - maybe that's why?
It still should show your high level characters iirc

But you can still do levels 1-20 for free.  So I fired up a new toon on Lightninghoof.  Looks like they re-did the starting zones - maybe for Cataclysm?  In the human starting zone, instead of Defias and kobolds there are some Orcs to fight.

Levelling felt like it went faster than before, but most noticeable was there never felt like there was any danger.  Before you'd at least have to worry about pulling too many mobs, but now you have to be almost on top of them before you get aggro.  And in fights my health bar hardly even moved.
Yep sounds about right.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2019, 11:34:12 AM
What I have heard is that the game pretty much plays itself until the end game where it can get really challenging in the super duper mythic content, but there is not exactly a smooth learning curve to get there. You go from barely having to do anything to having to know your class inside and out with little transition between.

But I haven't played it...just what I have heard.

Edit: That was for BFA WoW not ESO.

I always disliked the BUT THE ENDGAME crowd. As they say, if its all about the destination, take an effin' flight. There were so many people who looked at the levels below max as the setup time for the "proper game". I never undestood that. For me the game ended there. (well, way before, but you know what I mean).

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 28, 2019, 11:31:09 AM

Levelling felt like it went faster than before, but most noticeable was there never felt like there was any danger.  Before you'd at least have to worry about pulling too many mobs, but now you have to be almost on top of them before you get aggro.  And in fights my health bar hardly even moved.

This was my experience as well when I tried about a year ago.

I'd recommend Elder Scrolls Online as a replacement. You have to buy it once but then the non-subscriber content doesn't feel limited at all. It isn't exactly hard either, but excessive carelessness can still be bad.

I'm not looking for a new MMO to commit my life to, but I am interested in WoW Classic in August.  Just thought I would poke around with the current state of the game.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 28, 2019, 11:40:13 AM

Some of my characters are still there, but not my highest level toon.  Not super worried because I'm not paying for an account - maybe that's why?
It still should show your high level characters iirc

I think I figured it out.  On an unpaid account, it doesn't show your characters on a full realm.  If you do go into that realm anyways your toons are still there.

Like I said I really don't want to go back to play any of them, just somehow it would have pissed me off if they would have been erased somehow.

Barrister

Been playing around with free WoW for a bit.  Man, the fact that everything scales to your level is kind of annoying.  What's the point of levelling up if the mobs just get more powerful right alongside you?

Anyways, my toon is now just about at the level cap.  You can keep playing at level 20, but no further progress.  Or I could re-sub.

Which I wasn't considering... but now I see that WoW classic is doing a stress test today.  Anyone with an active account can play.  And I'm a little bit tempted... :unsure:

Zoupa

Don't. It won't be like it was.

Barrister

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 19, 2019, 04:51:10 PM

How do you figure?

Maybe he played on private servers? You have a story to share?

Anyway sure it will not be exactly like 2005. It will have fewer bugs and run better on modern computers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 12:02:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 19, 2019, 04:51:10 PM

How do you figure?

Maybe he played on private servers? You have a story to share?

Anyway sure it will not be exactly like 2005. It will have fewer bugs and run better on modern computers.

I think what he was getting at is that a WoW vanilla server needs a large numbers of players to make it viable.  Later iterations made solo play viable but in the vanilla build you need to form a group for a number of the open world quests not to mention all the dungeon instances you need to do while leveling. Add to that the slow leveling progression and you need a significant number of players at all levels to make the experience enjoyable.   

Valmy

I might have quibbles with your characterization there but, presuming it is accurate, how is that different from 2005?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 12:13:09 PM
I might have quibbles with your characterization there but, presuming it is accurate, how is that different from 2005?

It is not.

We are tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2019, 12:15:04 PM
It is not.

We are tho.

True. It will not be the same. But does a good gaming experience require it to be the same?

crazy canuck

Well, on the server I played on it had a high population.  So high in fact it was sometime hard to log on.  Is that the case now?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 21, 2019, 01:01:15 PM

Well, on the server I played on it had a high population.  So high in fact it was sometime hard to log on.  Is that the case now?

Ah. I see where you were coming from. The stress test is probably a waste of time? I would agree. I am too old to work for free anymore.

They are supposed to be using super fancy modern servers so maybe those problems have been addressed. So there is that.