And we're back!

Main Menu

WoW [General Discussion]

Started by Korea, March 12, 2009, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 22, 2019, 11:39:03 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 22, 2019, 08:39:45 PM
Been playing the beta, fuck i forgot how much i hated running around without a mount.
You know, I kept forgetting to message you on Facebook if that was actually you that I saw online or if your account got hacked.  Good to know it was actually you!   :Embarrass:
Yeah my current job has me working nights at home downloading media from footage shot each day, means a lot of free time so decided to re up and checking BFA.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2019, 11:51:25 PM
I didn't realize Languish types were still playing WoW!

I don't suppose there's any interest in recreating old times with a bunch of Languishites rolling on a new classic server in August?  Probably not.

I don't remember how far we got, but I really enjoyed that time we all created first level characters, and then only played once a week on them together. That was awesome.

At least, my memory of it was that it was awesome. Which is what matters.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I have no problems leaving my WoW days in the past. It was a lot of fun and almost impossible to recreate the experience until I hit something like retirement.

I do wish I had something similar in a PC strategy game to catch a multiplayer experience again, though. I was hoping that it'd be Imperator, but...seems I'll be waiting a bit on that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

I would play with you guys, extend the nostalgia trip to that too, but I think I can't really do playing 12am-3 am anymore.

The hard part,  will be that back in WoW Vanilla you did not get really anywhere in 1-2 hour game sessions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2019, 11:18:44 AM
It was a lot of fun and almost impossible to recreate the experience until I hit something like retirement.

Yep. Hopefully something better than Classic WoW will have been released by 2047 though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2019, 11:20:01 AM
The hard part,  will be that back in WoW Vanilla you did not get really anywhere in 1-2 hour game sessions.

Yeah, I think this is the key here. Back then, I would frequently play for 8 hour sessions without an issue. I can't do that any more.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Yeah, these days I play computers games maybe once a week for maybe an hour or so.  Not exactly WoW vanilla viable.  I remember waiting that long for a 20 man raid to form and get into position.  I actually regret all the time wasted on that game.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2019, 11:49:24 AM
I actually regret all the time wasted on that game.

Yeah. I loved playing Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot and World of Warcraft but damn that was a ton of valuable time of my youth gone. If I suddenly found myself back in 1999 I wouldn't do it again. I still wish I could somehow spend hours and hours playing classic WoW while doing everything else at the same time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Yeah I don't expect it will last past a month but I still am going to check it out for nostalgia's sake.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2019, 11:59:45 AM
Yeah I don't expect it will last past a month but I still am going to check it out for nostalgia's sake.

I was doing some reading - Blizzard has said they expect a lot of people to check it our, roll some characters, then never come back.  Apparently they're going to make heavy use of sharding (having multiple instances of the same zone) going at first, with the expectation that after a little while it won't be needed any longer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2019, 12:23:02 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2019, 11:59:45 AM

I was doing some reading - Blizzard has said they expect a lot of people to check it our, roll some characters, then never come back.  Apparently they're going to make heavy use of sharding (having multiple instances of the same zone) going at first, with the expectation that after a little while it won't be needed any longer.

To be fair that is also what most people do to all of their recent games.

Habbaku

This is why my game-buying has increased significantly. I only buy what I intend on playing immediately, now. Saves a lot of money.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Hmm... I was able to get into my old Blizzard account.

But going through this thread, I haven't regularly played since 2009.  I bought, played around with, but didn't do much with Cataclysm and Pandaria, which means I haven't played at all since, oh, 2012.

Barrister

So I fired downloaded WoW last night.  Man - downloads on my fibre connection sure are faster than on dial-up back in the day, where I remember on patch days it would be faster for me to drive 30 minutes into work to download a patch, then drive 30 minutes back.

Some of my characters are still there, but not my highest level toon.  Not super worried because I'm not paying for an account - maybe that's why?

But you can still do levels 1-20 for free.  So I fired up a new toon on Lightninghoof.  Looks like they re-did the starting zones - maybe for Cataclysm?  In the human starting zone, instead of Defias and kobolds there are some Orcs to fight.

Levelling felt like it went faster than before, but most noticeable was there never felt like there was any danger.  Before you'd at least have to worry about pulling too many mobs, but now you have to be almost on top of them before you get aggro.  And in fights my health bar hardly even moved.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2019, 11:09:04 AM

Levelling felt like it went faster than before, but most noticeable was there never felt like there was any danger.  Before you'd at least have to worry about pulling too many mobs, but now you have to be almost on top of them before you get aggro.  And in fights my health bar hardly even moved.

This was my experience as well when I tried about a year ago.

I'd recommend Elder Scrolls Online as a replacement. You have to buy it once but then the non-subscriber content doesn't feel limited at all. It isn't exactly hard either, but excessive carelessness can still be bad.