And we're back!

Main Menu

China tests 300 mph train.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 26, 2011, 10:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2011, 01:17:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 30, 2011, 11:46:57 AM
Washington DC is a disaster of urban planning.
Don't they have really strict rules on how tall buildings can be, so it just sprawls and sprawls?

London has the same problem. Anything over four stories wades into a quagmire of planning considerations. And the view of London from Primrose Hill continues to take precedence over more practical considerations like the housing shortage.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: dps on December 30, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
Similarly, Philadelphia apparantly used to have an ordance that no building could be taller than the bell tower on top of Independence Hall.  They didn't drop that until the mid-1970s IIRC.

It was an unwritten rule that the city wouldn't approve buildings higher than the William Penn statue on top of City Hall (548ft -- the second tallest masonry structure in the world, and tallest building in the world from 1901 to 1908).  It wasn't broken until One Liberty Place was built in 1987, giving birth to the "Curse of Billy Penn" idea concerning the city sports teams.

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

You can still have a rather densely packed city with 500 foot tall buildings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 30, 2011, 03:30:10 PM
You can still have a rather densely packed city with 500 foot tall buildings.

I think most of the post-87 buildings in Philadelphia haven't added much.  One Liberty Place is an OKish knockoff of the Chrysler Building, but that's about it:

And City Hall is gorgeous in my opinion:

It creates a very dramatic sightline looking up Broad Street from almost anywhere south of it in the city:

There were plenty of great early "skyscrapers" in Center City.  The PSFS building was the first American skyscraper built in the International modernist style (1931):

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Josquius

Quote from: Warspite on December 30, 2011, 01:53:43 PM
Don't they have really strict rules on how tall buildings can be, so it just sprawls and sprawls?

London has the same problem. Anything over four stories wades into a quagmire of planning considerations. And the view of London from Primrose Hill continues to take precedence over more practical considerations like the housing shortage.

i used to be quite in favour of ths thinking it good to preserve the appearance of the city but lately i read something about the sinister undertones of these poliies- it is so the existing land owners keep their land values high
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: alfred russel on December 30, 2011, 12:20:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 30, 2011, 12:17:47 PM

I don't think it's fair to expect the planners to foresee that the city would be home to more people than the entire country was at the time.

For starters, they could allow high rise buildings, so that people can work in the core of the city rather than sprawling everywhere.

That's just in DC proper, which is pretty small. Outside of that, you can build high rises and there are some in parts of NoVA and MD, just not enough. I blame American's insistence on owning a McMansion in the middle of an urban area.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on December 30, 2011, 01:12:43 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 30, 2011, 12:19:47 PM
I think you managed to hit every major american city with a good public transportation system.

Well yes, probably. But I didn't have much use for them either.
Used the subway in DC to get to Arlington, and I may have used it once or twice in New York.
Everything else could be done on foot. The only time I needed a taxi was to get to Vancouver Airport and go home.

Not sure what you are arguing though. There is a lot more of America that isn't like that.

I also wonder about the amount of time you wasted on foot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2011, 12:56:04 AM

i used to be quite in favour of ths thinking it good to preserve the appearance of the city but lately i read something about the sinister undertones of these poliies- it is so the existing land owners keep their land values high

Pretty much - a lot of it is just NIMBYism. Then again if you did start developing more high rises in London, the Duke of Westminster and Marquess of Salisbury would be quids in. :/
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

alfred russel

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 31, 2011, 03:46:19 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 30, 2011, 12:20:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 30, 2011, 12:17:47 PM

I don't think it's fair to expect the planners to foresee that the city would be home to more people than the entire country was at the time.

For starters, they could allow high rise buildings, so that people can work in the core of the city rather than sprawling everywhere.

That's just in DC proper, which is pretty small. Outside of that, you can build high rises and there are some in parts of NoVA and MD, just not enough. I blame American's insistence on owning a McMansion in the middle of an urban area.

Certainly the problems go beyond DC proper, but I disagree that it is so small: according to wikipedia DC has almost 3 times the land area as Manhattan. If you duplicated the density of manhattan in DC you would have about 4 million people there, out of an urban population of 5.58 million.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on December 31, 2011, 08:13:18 AM
Not sure what you are arguing though. There is a lot more of America that isn't like that.

I'm arguing that, for admittedly touristy purposes, a centrally located railway station can be all it takes to make public transportation work.

Time on foot wasn't wasted as it was done by choice, I know what the yellow cars are for :)
Hauling 20 kg from Penn station to 110th street at night was a bit uncalled for though  :blush:

Duque de Bragança

Guess what, same issue in Paris.

Ideologue

Quote from: Warspite on December 31, 2011, 08:26:13 AM

Pretty much - a lot of it is just NIMBYism. Then again if you did start developing more high rises in London, the Duke of Westminster and Marquess of Salisbury would be quids in. :/

NIMBY people are basically what's wrong with America and the reason federalism doesn't really work.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Building high-rises in itself won't help the housing problem, since the housing problem is really the affordable-housing problem.  And most developers over here seem to prefer buying their way out of any municipal effort to devote X% of a residential development to low/middle income housing.

dps

Quote from: Maladict on December 31, 2011, 10:33:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 31, 2011, 08:13:18 AM

I'm arguing that, for admittedly touristy purposes, a centrally located railway station can be all it takes to make public transportation work.

In most American cities, the touristy places aren't necessarily centrally located.

Of course, that partly depends on just which touristy places you're interested in.  If you're interested in Civil War sites, for example, some of them are nowhere near major city centers.  Really, none of them, as far as battlefields.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 31, 2011, 03:27:03 PM
Quote from: Warspite on December 31, 2011, 08:26:13 AM

NIMBY people are basically what's wrong with America and the reason federalism doesn't really work.
Is the NIMBY phenomena limited to federal republics?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point