News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China tests 300 mph train.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 26, 2011, 10:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That's crazy. I've been on the KTX and it hit 295 kmph while I was on it and that was fast.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45789448/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/#.TviDpNVKR5c
QuoteBEIJING — China launched a super-rapid test train over the weekend which is capable of travelling 310-miles per hour (500 kilometers per hour), state media said on Monday, as the country moves ahead with its railway ambitions despite serious problems on its high-speed network.

The train, made by a subsidiary of CSR Corp Ltd , China's largest train maker, is designed to resemble an ancient Chinese sword, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

It "will provide useful reference for current high-speed railway operations", it quoted train expert Shen Zhiyun as saying.

Read more from China in Behind the Wall

But future Chinese trains will not necessarily run at such high speeds, CSR chairman Zhao Xiaogang told the Beijing Morning News.

"We aims to ensure the safety of trains operation," he said.

China's railway industry has had a tough year, highlighted by a collision between two high-speed trains in July which killed at least 40 people. Construction of new high-speed trains in China has since been a near halt.

In February, the railways minister, Liu Zhijun, a key figure behind the boom in the sector, was dismissed over corruption charges that have not yet been tried in court.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

The French TGV went faster than that in record runs. But it is pointless as it isn't economical at all to operate a train at that speed.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2011, 11:08:04 AM
Stolen technology no doubt

Oh, God!  They've stolen the secret of RAILROAD!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2011, 02:31:28 PM

One of the few technologies that they haven't stolen is Democracy.

Eddie Teach

It will allow them to move armies from Guangzhou to North Korea in one turn.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Without the secret of BRAKES I feel that they will yet be buggered  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on December 26, 2011, 02:43:12 PM

Another is the secret of GOOD HAIRCUT.

Warspite

By creating unprofitable, state-backed railway routes, China is certainly in good first-world company.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on December 27, 2011, 01:41:02 PM
By creating unprofitable, state-backed railway routes, China is certainly in good first-world company.

Yes these people should be forced onto flights, which in no way have any sort of state subsidy or benefit.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ender

Quote from: dps on December 26, 2011, 02:43:12 PM

Nah, its the social policies. They went with Tradition, Commerce and Order, and you cannot select policies from the Order and Freedom policy trees at the same time.

Tonitrus

I'd tend to think 300mph trains (or Maglec) would be more capable of competing with air travel, though obviously the start-up infrastructure costs, with no way to forsee demand, makes it a sketchy proposition.

lustindarkness

Next, they will build the Totally Important Magnetic Space Elevator.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2011, 02:51:30 PM
I'd tend to think 300mph trains (or Maglec) would be more capable of competing with air travel, though obviously the start-up infrastructure costs, with no way to forsee demand, makes it a sketchy proposition.

The problem with trains is that they can't go 300 miles per hour for very long.  They have to slow down in towns and make stops.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2011, 09:38:28 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2011, 02:51:30 PM

The problem with trains is that they can't go 300 miles per hour for very long.  They have to slow down in towns and make stops.

Yeah, which is why they would only be useful for inter-city routes (major city stops only, i.e. Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego), not for local commuters.

Even better would be a service where you drive your car onto such a train, and fling it, and you, at 300mph between major cities...lose the need to rent a local car.

But as said, infrastructure and paranoid fear of terrorists around every corner make such things impossible these days.