News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Retail Shenanigans

Started by DontSayBanana, December 22, 2011, 10:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Wanted to share some of the ridiculousness that goes on with my job.

Today's entry: Holiday retail is some of the most ridiculous.  My boss and I are the only ones at our store one morning this week, which has been mega-swamped, but we have to have music playing.  Since we don't have time to pick out some good music for the day, we just hit play on the CD player.

A couple of practical jokers had put in "Jingle Cats" the night before.  Now, I work at a music store, so our sound system is LOUD.  The icing on the cake is this particular "gem."  About when this song started up, customers were begging us to take the CD out and burn it.  Seriously, a customer actually said that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClHpepBY1I

EDIT: If you wanna see the kind of crack that went into the making of this CD, check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYOm89IcUU&feature=relmfu
Experience bij!

The Brain

Sorry, there's an animal nazi roaming the forum who won't accept any negative shit about his precious darlings.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on December 22, 2011, 10:28:34 AM
Sorry, there's an animal nazi roaming the forum who won't accept any negative shit about his precious darlings.

Cats, I've got no problem with.  Jingle Cats, now... there's a problem.  I'm pretty sure the creators should be charged with animal cruelty.
Experience bij!

KRonn

Christmas songs I hate are the Chipmunks singing what ever it is that they sing, and that damn dog barking jingle bells.   <_<

CountDeMoney

Problem, bitch?

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2011, 08:07:59 AM

Problem, bitch?

Hey, I'm not the one hating on Jingle Cats.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

That song's pretty funny. Mind you, I'm only listening to it once.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

BuddhaRhubarb

There's absolutely no Xmas music being played in my store. That's the best present I got this year.
:p

Syt

It seems that Last Christmas has finally run its course. I've heard it neither on radio nor in the supermarket nor at christmas markets this year.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

I'm pretty sure the mall sound system intentionally plays  country music version of Silent Night every time I have to take a dump. I fucking hate it, and it's always playing when I'm on the can.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

What's your beef?  Seems that song would be very conducive to a pleasant bowel movement.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

So the mall manager comes in and bitches at us that she's going to fine us $200 because we can't get one of our gates up (my store's in a corner spot.  We tell her stick it.  The mall's told us getting the gate repaired is on us, and $12,000 is a lot more expensive (the gate would be about 4-5k, but they'd also have to pull down the entire facade on that side to get to the mechanism).

Meantime, I'm racking up all the wonderful retail days.  I was there Black Friday, I closed on Dec 23 and 26 (the second- and third-highest volume retail days of 2011), and I'm not only working today, I'm closing yet again.

I'm putting up with it because I've been told by a couple of people now that I'm actually in the running for one of the full-time management slots, so... *shrug* job is a job, right?
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

You believe that? I have had many a friend in retail and fast food who'd sign up to be a whipping bitch for months or years at a time because of the, "stick it out and you'll be making $$$$$ as a management. You are a straight shooter who has upper echelon written all over you" line of crap.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 01, 2012, 02:02:30 PM
You believe that? I have had many a friend in retail and fast food who'd sign up to be a whipping bitch for months or years at a time because of the, "stick it out and you'll be making $$$$$ as a management. You are a straight shooter who has upper echelon written all over you" line of crap.
Yeah.  An important part of management in shit service jobs is to lie your ass off in order to retain employees who are barely adequate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.