News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars The Old Republic Roll Call

Started by Berkut, December 20, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Started playing this this last week.  Running around with a Sith Assassin right now.  Is it weird to feel kinda bad for slaughtering little Jawas?

celedhring

Jacob

Any reason for this to remain stickied?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

So... uh... is anyone here still playing this?

I've run into a "small" problem.

My character is tuck, in the 1st planet, Typhon.  Yeah, I guess I wanted to know that planet before this week's Mandalorian...

Anyhow.  I'm stuck near a bridge, where I have to install 3 cameras to monitor Flesh-something creatures after defeating their leader.

I'd hate to start again.

I tried /stuck to no avail.  I tried jumping and moving in all directions, no luck.  I tried contacting tech support in game but it does not work, the window is simply constantly flashing.  I'm not a subscriber, I'm only trying the game to see if I like it at this point, so I do not have access to tech support.

I've read that some characters (Jedi or Sith, I guess) have powers that can move me from my position.

Would any brave soul out there still playing the game be able to help that poor HeIsViper from out of miserable situation?
I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait until the week-end.  Just set me up with a date and time to unstuck that poor bastard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

It's been ages since I played it. The long and short of it is: great if you like the stories, weak if you're looking for gameplay.

The class stories are good to great, the planet main stories are ok or good (I recommend playing them once to see if you like them). You will find their quest markers easily - you're usually funneled into the planet story when you arrive at a new location, and your class story is also clearly marked.

The side quests (I think they're called discovery quests now and are hidden by default - you can change that in your map settings, I think) range from extremely meh to good or funny. You don't need them for leveling, though, at this point, and the majority of it is fluff that doesn't add much (I feel on the first few planets the quests are all right, but become repetitive in concept later on).

The combat and gameplay is, unfortunately, quite "eh." The combat was grindy at release in 2011 and is now trivial while leveling since they nerfed a lot of the content/buffed players so they can rush through the stories. Also, companions can fill any role. Previously they were locked to tank/dps/healer, and you had to give them new equipment to keep them up to your level. Now you can switch their roles on the fly (healer is by far the most useful, and I recommend you level a DPS build to get through combat faster), and their stats are improved automatically. Their equipment is just cosmetic fashion at this point.

I found myself avoiding combat during missions not because it was daunting, but because it was boring. It's definitely easy mode now. If you like creating builds, the options have been streamlined, removing some choice. Also, you pick your advanced class at the start instead of after finishing the tutorial planet.

As for you being stuck in a spot. Never happened to me, and I have no idea how to fix it. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2020, 02:22:27 AM
So... uh... is anyone here still playing this?

I've run into a "small" problem.

My character is tuck, in the 1st planet, Typhon.  Yeah, I guess I wanted to know that planet before this week's Mandalorian...

Anyhow.  I'm stuck near a bridge, where I have to install 3 cameras to monitor Flesh-something creatures after defeating their leader.

I'd hate to start again.

I tried /stuck to no avail.  I tried jumping and moving in all directions, no luck.  I tried contacting tech support in game but it does not work, the window is simply constantly flashing.  I'm not a subscriber, I'm only trying the game to see if I like it at this point, so I do not have access to tech support.

I've read that some characters (Jedi or Sith, I guess) have powers that can move me from my position.

Would any brave soul out there still playing the game be able to help that poor HeIsViper from out of miserable situation?
I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait until the week-end.  Just set me up with a date and time to unstuck that poor bastard.

Do you have the quick travel skill? That should get you out of there, at least. It should be under your general skills somewhere, the icon looks like a light blue globe.

Anyway, I have a bunch of characters and play it occasionally (especially when new story content comes out). Though my characters are all on EU server.

celedhring

I haven't played TOR in ages. I keep wanting to come back to check out the story content, but I always find something more enticing to play instead. As Syt says, the gameplay is more of a chore than anything.

Also, I recall that you could type /stuck in the chat window, and the server would move you. Dunno if it still works.

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on December 03, 2020, 05:15:00 AM

Do you have the quick travel skill? That should get you out of there, at least. It should be under your general skills somewhere, the icon looks like a light blue globe.

Anyway, I have a bunch of characters and play it occasionally (especially when new story content comes out). Though my characters are all on EU server.
No, I don't, I'm only level 7 or 8.  I just begun playing.

Not sure I'm going to keep playing if it's as boring as Syt says.  I thought it would get better.  I recognized the voice actress from Dragon Age 2, she uses the same voice tones as her character there.  And the general of the militia on Dantooine from Kotor II.  That was nice, but I don't like the combat that much.  I thought it would get better over time, so far, I've played alone with a dual wielding sword Jedi.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2020, 05:18:54 AM
Also, I recall that you could type /stuck in the chat window, and the server would move you. Dunno if it still works.
Tried it already, does not work.
Will try again to reach support in game.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2020, 02:17:17 PM

Not sure I'm going to keep playing if it's as boring as Syt says.  I thought it would get better.  I recognized the voice actress from Dragon Age 2, she uses the same voice tones as her character there.  And the general of the militia on Dantooine from Kotor II.  That was nice, but I don't like the combat that much.  I thought it would get better over time, so far, I've played alone with a dual wielding sword Jedi.

If you want the stories, check out SF Debris. He's done reviews/runs of all Imperial classes and their companions, and he'll start a Jedi run at some point (he teased it at the end of his last Imperial run).

I think Sith Agent was his first run, IIRC. In it he also goes into his gripes about the game. His humor might not be everyone's cup of tea:
https://sfdebris.com/videos/games/swtoragent.php

To watch in order, I think he did Sith Inquisitor next, then Sith Warrior, then Bounty Hunter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2020, 02:17:50 PM

Yeah, it was right there in your post. I've been to way too many zoom meetings these days, my brain is melting down  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2020, 02:31:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2020, 02:17:50 PM

Yeah, it was right there in your post. I've been to way too many zoom meetings these days, my brain is melting down  :lol:
yeah, I can understand :D

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2020, 02:17:17 PM

Are you sure?  I think you get it almost immediately in SWTOR.  It's not a speeder-bike or whatever, just the thing that returns you to the SWTOR-equivalent of an "inn".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I don't  think I have that, I look at my map, tried to click on the Jedi Temple, search for anything labeled "quick", didn't see anything.

Anyway, I am unstuck now.  I manage to get help working.