News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Nordenkampen is on. A 4 way battle between Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark/Iceland in athletics. There's beautiful blond fit nordic girls in skin tight outfits everywhere. It's good television.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quinnipiac wins it all in men's college hockey; so naturally:

Students Get Rowdy at Quinnipiac After Hockey Win, 2 Arrested

Oh you wacky... :unsure: uhm... :unsure: pejorative and/or slang term for people from Connecticut. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Very entertaining Masters right now.  Speith was cruising to victory then the wheels fell off.  Bogey, bogey then QUAD.  Chunked a big fat broken elbow drop shot into the water just like I would.

Admiral Yi

Theon Greyjoy is in the clubhouse with five under.  Speith needs 2 birdies in the last 3 holes to catch him. 

Admiral Yi

Maladict

Holy shit. Watching F1 for the first time in years, Max wins the Spanish GP  :w00t: :yeah:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on April 08, 2016, 12:19:11 PM
Oh you wacky... :unsure: uhm... :unsure: pejorative and/or slang term for people from Connecticut.

Yankees?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Danish rider Annika Langvad won the World Championship in mountain biking! In other less exciting cycling news, Cavendish won the Yellow Jersey on the first stage of the Tour de France.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2016, 11:02:00 AM
Danish rider Annika Langvad won the World Championship in mountain biking! In other less exciting cycling news, Cavendish won the Yellow Jersey on the first stage of the Tour de France.

:hmm:

All the more reason to have TdF thread.  :frog: :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Back in the time, I used to follow TdF obsessively. Now it happens without even me noticing it. All the drug scandals really destroyed my interest for the sport.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on July 03, 2016, 06:59:21 AM
Back in the time, I used to follow TdF obsessively. Now it happens without even me noticing it. All the drug scandals really destroyed my interest for the sport.

I still follow it, but not with the same obsession as I once did. Armstrong killed cycling as a professional sport for me. And now Froome is taking the last bit of fun out of the TdF.

Duque de Bragança

To be fair, if other sports were as well tested for doping as cycling there would be lots of surprises...

PS: I am no fan of cycling. Tour de France always bored me though I know some names since it's a major sport.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 03, 2016, 07:20:28 AM

To be fair, if other sports were as well tested for doping as cycling there would be lots of surprises...

PS: I am no fan of cycling. Tour de France always bored me though I known some names since it's a major sport.

Possibly. I have always thought that football is probably riddled with it. We almost never hear of footballers being caught using PEDs, and since I'm not going to believe they are all clean, that means the controls are lax.

I loved the epicness of those big TdF or Giro climbs, plus all the tactical dimension the sport has. I keep wanting to get back into it, but I just can't muster the emotional engagement I used to have for it before the doping scandals.

Josquius

Theoretical - what if there werent doping rules in sport?

Muscle bound bearded super women screaming at each other at Wimbledon?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Seems Tyr missed the glorious East German female athletes. Granted, they were not competitive in tennis.