Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2015, 12:15:54 AM
Did you know that the 1st European Games with 6,000 athletes start today? I didn't. Yay, Baku? :unsure:

http://www.baku2015.com/

Yeah, I heard a radio spot for the live transmission, even the speaker couldn't find any enthusiasm.

It's as if you guys went out and recreated all the excitement of the Pan Am Games, but for Europe.

The reference works because I have never heard of the Pan Am Games. :yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 12:10:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2015, 12:15:54 AM
Did you know that the 1st European Games with 6,000 athletes start today? I didn't. Yay, Baku? :unsure:

http://www.baku2015.com/

Yeah, I heard a radio spot for the live transmission, even the speaker couldn't find any enthusiasm.

It's as if you guys went out and recreated all the excitement of the Pan Am Games, but for Europe.

The reference works because I have never heard of the Pan Am Games. :yes:

That's pretty much what I was going for. :yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 10:57:41 AM
39 versus 29 is worrying. Nobody wanted to see Ali versus Larry Holmes.

Bad comparison. Ali's damage happened over time and had a lot to do with his fighting style. Ali's had 61 total fights with 23 going the distance. Klitscho has 67 total fights with only 9 going the distance. A fighter from Ali's generation, Foreman, 47 total fights only 3 going the distance in his first career.

Ali's long time trainer, Angelo Dundee said something to the effect of, "After the layoff, Ali didn't have the footwork he had prior. The good news was he discovered he had a great chin. The bad new was, he discovered he had a great chin."

When Ali fought Frasier in 1971 after his layoff, he was not the same fighter that fought Cleveand Williams in 1966.

Ali was never know as a one punch knockout artist. He was a boxer not a puncher and wore opponets down. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Azerbaijan spent 10 billion dollars for the European games. Maybe a bit steep.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2015, 04:41:02 AM
Azerbaijan spent 10 billion dollars for the European games. Maybe a bit steep.

Well, they promised to pay the trip for all athletes. In German and Austrian media you have to dig deep to find info about the Games; if anything it's "In a dictatorship? Again?" Also, it seems it's mostly third stringers and youth athletes competing. I only noticed these games exist because Austrian news reported that some of Austria's synchronized swimmers were severely hurt while walking through town and a bus swerved onto the sidewalk.

More importantly, Putin and Erdogan met at the opening ceremony.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

I wanted to see the women's volleyball, but discovered it's on the same pay channel as women's world cup. They really know how to choose the big hits. :hmm:

And on top of that they prioritise table tennis and triathlon above one of the world's most beautiful sports. :glare:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2015, 05:07:26 AM
And on top of that they prioritise table tennis and triathlon above one of the world's most beautiful sports. :glare:

Synchronized swimming? Equestrian? Golf?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 13, 2015, 05:32:30 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2015, 05:07:26 AM

Synchronized swimming? Equestrian? Golf?

Women's volleyball. Of course.

Liep

They're actually using the "Breaking News" tag for an article wherein a cyclist admits to having used doping.

"But it was only in my beginning years [where there's substantial evidence provided by witnesses], the later [more successful] years were done clean". - Nicki Sørensen

Liep

Sara Slott won her semi-final in 400m hurdles. The only other Dane (who hasn't been a complete asshole *wink wink* liberalkuglestøder.dk) that has done so well in a WC track and field event is good old Wilson Kipketer and that's about 15-20 years ago.

Liep

I can't believe the 80's East German women's track and field world records haven't been deleted yet.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Is that from a sketch or is it real?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep