News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Liep on January 24, 2015, 08:49:01 AM
I'm watching snow mobile long jump from the X-Games. So American.

'Merica. Fuck yeah.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

50 years of BKK (BRITISH KYOKUSHIN KARATE) in the UK. Steve Arneil FTW.  :cheers:

2015 BKK open

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa2svf_british-kyokushin-karate-est-1965_sport

QuoteOn 22 May 1965, Arneil became the first person to complete the 100-man kumite after Oyama himself. The 100-man kumite took him around 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete, with each round scheduled to take 1 minute and 30 seconds (but a round ended if he managed to knock down his opponent).
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Some 21 year old kid named Jordan Spieth won the Masters today.  He tied Tiger's record of 18 under.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2015, 08:27:21 PM
Some 21 year old kid named Jordan Spieth won the Masters today.  He tied Tiger's record of 18 under.

Spieth as some 21 year old? That is kind of funny to hear. He has been a huge star around here since he won the 2012 national championship for UT. That and he blew a huge lead in last year's Masters :P

But yeah I guess to most people he is just some kid. He is going to be a force for awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

I had never heard of him before, but then again, I don't give a shit about golf.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

How French!  :frog:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32405248

QuoteFrance swimmer Amaury Leveaux sparks fury with cocaine claims

By Hugh Schofield
BBC News, Paris

22 April 2015

From the section Europe

A French Olympic swimming champion has caused fury among the sport's authorities after claiming that his colleagues on the national side regularly take cocaine.

Amaury Leveaux, who won gold in the 100m relay at the 2012 London Olympics, makes his allegation in an autobiography published on Wednesday.

Entitled Sex, Drugs and Swimming, it purports to offer an unsavoury behind-the-scenes glimpse at the world of competitive swimming.

In a chapter dealing with drug use, Leveaux says that top French swimming stars regularly snort cocaine, mainly - but not only - for fun.

"Some of us wouldn't spit at a little line of coke from time to time. For others it's not just a little line, it's a complete motorway covered in white powder which they zoom down at top speed," he writes.

"And then let's not be coy - cocaine is a doping agent. It is the kind of happy drug which gives you the feeling of being invincible and never tired - pushing back your limits and transforming you into a warrior ready for anything."

'Disgusted'

He says on one occasion during the Olympics a trainer came to their rooms and warned them that an anti-doping test would take place the next day.

"He specifically mentioned cocaine as one to avoid. I found that strange."

Leveaux also describes an incident at the London Games, where one of the French swimmers - he does not give the name - left a nightclub in the company of the establishment's female press officer.

"Later that night he sent me a text saying I should come round to the girl's flat - and that's where I found him lying on top of her and sniffing a line of coke from between her breasts," he writes.

The French Swimming Federation (FNF) has reacted with outrage to Leveaux's claims, with vice-president Lucien Gastaldello saying the swimmer had "shot himself in the foot" and should now repay his debts to the federation.

"Everyone is disgusted by his attitude," said Gastaldello. "He was going to do television commentaries on some forthcoming events. He can forget that. Who would speak to him now?"

Leveaux - who comes from a modest background in the eastern city of Belfort - reserves some of his strongest criticism for members of the elite Marseille Swimming Club, who have dominated the sport in France in recent years . They are, he writes, "pretty boys with big heads".

He also lays into the sport's governing body, describing the FNF as "dinosaurs" who have brought "Nothing with a capital N" to swimming.

"They squeeze swimmers like lemons and then chuck them into the rubbish bin when they are through."

Anti-doping inspections

Le Monde's sports correspondent Henri Seckel said the book's sensational title was a bit of an oversell and that he wanted more on what really would have "broken the code of silence in swimming" - i.e. the facts on performance-enhancing drug use.

Leveaux makes some allusions to this, but never directly.

He mentions a Russian female swimmer who he says "went back home from time to time to get testosterone injections."

He says this Russian swimmer explained to him how her team escaped anti-doping inspections.

"Every swimmer had a 'double' who had the same name on his or her passport. It was this double, who was based in the same hotel room.... that was tested after the event - without the officials ever noticing," he writes.

Leveaux, who retired in 2013, has four Olympic medals in all, and still holds the world record for 100m freestyle (short course). In the 2008 Olympics he was pipped to gold in the 50m freestyle by Brazil's Cesar Cielo, who in 2011 failed a doping test.

In the book he compares Cielo to Lance Armstrong, and in a pre-launch interview with L'Equipe magazine adds: "For cheats and paedophiles, it's the same: a bullet in the head."

While on the national team, Leveaux enjoyed a mildly 'bad boy' reputation, but he denied the book is motivated by jealousy of his more glamorous team-mates, such as Alain Bernard or Yannick Agnel.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Anyone going to watch the match tonight. They say here that it's the match of the century, but I have to admit I hadn't heard about any of the two fighters before this week. I guess I haven't been watching boxing since the best Dane was Brian Nielsen and Mike Tyson was still the shit.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I would watch it if I weren't working.

Caliga

The Kentucky Derby is over and the favored horse American Pharaoh won.  As usual, I was drinking heavily and forgot to pay attention till it was too late. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Rooting against Mayweather,  but I think he'll win.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

I've watched a lot of snooker in the last 48 hours :w00t:

Including probably the most compelling frame I've ever seen.

A family friend once went to the Crucible for the World Championship and got so excited that he shouted out 'come on snooker!'. That's roughly how I feel :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Drakken

Quote from: Liep on May 02, 2015, 05:45:28 PM
Anyone going to watch the match tonight. They say here that it's the match of the century, but I have to admit I hadn't heard about any of the two fighters before this week. I guess I haven't been watching boxing since the best Dane was Brian Nielsen and Mike Tyson was still the shit.

Never heard about Floyd Mayweather?! :wacko:

Watching the fight too. I hope Pacquiao will win, but I doubt he will.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

American Pharaoh won the Triple Crown!!!  :w00t: :worthy:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2015, 06:54:55 PM
American Pharaoh won the Triple Crown!!!  :w00t: :worthy:

Oh crap I meant to watch that.