News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 23, 2021, 08:45:42 AM
Wait, so they basically had no original music so someone decided to blast their Spotify Video Game soundtrack playlist?  :lmfao:

I'm ok with that. The amount of "Wait a sec, WTF?" posts on gaming Twitter were quite amusing. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I read this morning that there's more mixed gender team events this year (e.g. sailing, relay sprint). In the shooting competitions they merged men and women into joint contests in most disciplines (e.g. in Germany and Austria women and men compete against each other regularly already).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 23, 2021, 11:35:58 AM
All in all the ceremony was rather subdued. Which I guess it's understandable given the circumstances.

Now time to take residence in my couch to watch sports I only care about every 4 years (5 this time).
Yep. That time every four years when, in the course of a single day, I go from knowing nothing to having very strong feelings about ransom sports like different gymnastics disciplines and keiren :lol.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2021, 11:48:32 AM
All in all the ceremony was rather subdued. Which I guess it's understandable given the circumstances.

Now time to take residence in my couch to watch sports I only care about every 4 years (5 this time).
Yep. That time every four years when, in the course of a single day, I go from knowing nothing to having very strong feelings about ransom sports like different gymnastics disciplines and keiren :lol.

Not all sporting events involving paying ransoms to the judges.

Grey Fox

I hate you all. Watch the god damn Winter Olympics.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 23, 2021, 11:51:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2021, 11:48:32 AM

Not all sporting events involving paying ransoms to the judges.
:blush: :lol:

And yet - probably not inaccurate for keirin :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
Who's keirin? :unsure:
It's the Japanese cycling race event - basically a 2000 m race. First set of laps with a pacemaker on a moped and everyone at similar-ish speeds reaching up to 70kph by the later rounds, then the pacemaker leaves and there's carnage for the final few laps.

But I only ever see it at the Olympics but love it when it comes on. It's great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2021, 12:20:29 PM
It's the Japanese cycling race event - basically a 2000 m race. First set of laps with a pacemaker on a moped and everyone at similar-ish speeds reaching up to 70kph by the later rounds, then the pacemaker leaves and there's carnage for the final few laps.

But I only ever see it at the Olympics but love it when it comes on. It's great.

Is it similar to the velodrome?

Sheilbh

Yeah it's similar - it's just 1400m with a pacemaker and no real competition then a 600m sprint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU0QGFAAsHw
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Personally, I'm disappointed Takeshi's Castle events aren't included in the program as Olympic sports.

(For reasons, Takeshi's Castle was hugely popular in Spain when I was young).

Syt

Takeshi's castle was weird when you consider the kind of movies Takeshi Kitano normally makes. :D

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001429/
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
Who's keirin? :unsure:

i looked it up and was getting irish for black and was a boys name (black boy? :unsure:) and just wrote it off as a britishism :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Right now Taekwondo is the most important sport in the world, we already got the first medal there. Thank god there's like 325423 weight classes there and thus shitloads of medals to give, the sport is pretty popular in Spain and we always pick up a few in every Olympics.

Josquius

I'm hoping Yorkshire puts in a strong showing again.

Glancing at the opening ceremony it's interesting/sad that a lot of countries haven't sent many people. Ethiopia seemed to be only a handful of guys. Normally they're strong at long distance.
██████
██████
██████