News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Even in "the north" RL is very regional. Its a non entity in the north east (Union barely penetrates here
) and is pretty solidly a Yorkshire and especially Lancashire thing.
Nonetheless it is the superior form of rugby. Much more interesting to watch.

In other niche British things... Apparently a new short form cricket league has started up called the hundred. First I've heard of it. The name of the league and the team names....so very wannabe edgy and cool and American. My eyes bleed.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Sorry, the UK didn't want to be in Europe.  It will be all things American from now on.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Although with cricket - is it very American or inspired by the Indian Premier League (which I think is quite American :lol:)?

You know the Rajasthan Royals, Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Capitals etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2021, 05:31:49 PM
Even in "the north" RL is very regional. Its a non entity in the north east (Union barely penetrates here
) and is pretty solidly a Yorkshire and especially Lancashire thing.
Nonetheless it is the superior form of rugby. Much more interesting to watch.

In other niche British things... Apparently a new short form cricket league has started up called the hundred. First I've heard of it. The name of the league and the team names....so very wannabe edgy and cool and American. My eyes bleed.

RL used to be teh superior game but professionalisation of Union has seen a flight in quality from RL. Used to watch it a lot in the 80s but it feels a bit one dimensional now.

The hundred is an abberration. Graphics look like they were created on a ZX Spectrum.

celedhring

Watching the Olympics opening ceremony. They are playing JPRG soundtacks while the athletes parade  :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Not having spectators was the right call but it just looks bizarre that the athletes are waving to an empty stadium.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 23, 2021, 07:16:08 AM
Not having spectators was the right call but it just looks bizarre that the athletes are waving to an empty stadium.
I haven't watched this (because work) - but I watched the Copa America final and the closing cermony to an almost empty Maracana was one of the weirdest and most pointless things I've ever seen.

Opening/Closing cermonies in football tournaments are always pointless (unless they include an Italian tenor singing Nessum Dorma) but it was so strange - at least with the Olympics you have the torch lighting and the passing the torch to the next host stuff.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 23, 2021, 07:13:14 AM
:lol:

They played the Final Fantasy victory theme, they should totally do that in medal ceremonies  :lol:

Syt

Google doodle today is a surprisingly big pixel RPG-ish thing with mini games in 7 disciplines and anime cutscenes: https://t.co/UlhSwEUplT?amp=1 :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Italy: We are going to commission Giorgio Armani to design suits for the football team and their coaching staff for these Euros, referencing back to the icon look of the 1982 team.

Also Italy: This'll do:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 23, 2021, 07:29:48 AM

They played the Final Fantasy victory theme, they should totally do that in medal ceremonies  :lol:

Apparently this was the full playlist:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on July 23, 2021, 07:29:48 AM

Play the Zelda item pick up fanfare when athletes get the medals :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Wait, so they basically had no original music so someone decided to blast their Spotify Video Game soundtrack playlist?  :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

All in all the ceremony was rather subdued. Which I guess it's understandable given the circumstances.

Now time to take residence in my couch to watch sports I only care about every 4 years (5 this time).