News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

They removed 3 stages, and boiled down the rest.  Apparently, it will just be climbing l'Angliru 54 times in 18 days, though I may be wrong...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Fun to watch Sepp Kuss from Colorado climb.  He can't really time-trial, he doesn't get the strategy of the big peloton yet (only a few years in road bikes), but he can climb.  He is a perfect domestique, willing to sacrifice for his team leader in the mountains.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on October 20, 2020, 04:37:05 PM
Fun to watch Sepp Kuss from Colorado climb.  He can't really time-trial, he doesn't get the strategy of the big peloton yet (only a few years in road bikes), but he can climb.  He is a perfect domestique, willing to sacrifice for his team leader in the mountains.

Yes, an impressive new talent.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

I haven't followed the NFL much this season because of a newborn and a toddler sucking up all my time, but I just checked the standings and god damn does the NFC East (still) suck. Good lord.

I really should switch my allegiance from the Washington formerly-racist losers to the Ravens. I wish the Washington Post covered the Ravens better so I could follow them more easily.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

celedhring

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2020, 11:05:20 PM
I really should switch my allegiance from the Washington formerly-racist losers to the Ravens.

Speaking of which, is the new name some hipster "I'm too cool for nicknames" thing or a tantrum because they were forced to change?

Syt

I had a look and the Steelers are 5-0? :o But it seems they've been mostly shit teams while having home field advantage, so .... yay?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Don't make me look at how the Giants are doing Syt.

Fuck, I just did  :(

Why o why of all the cities in the US, did I have to adopt New York City for sports  :lol:

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2020, 01:24:43 AM
I really should switch my allegiance from the Washington formerly-racist losers to the Ravens.

Speaking of which, is the new name some hipster "I'm too cool for nicknames" thing or a tantrum because they were forced to change?

They had a few names, but apparently some guy has the rights to them. So they were forced to go generic. To be honest, I kinda like it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2020, 01:54:03 AM

Why o why of all the cities in the US, did I have to adopt New York City for sports  :lol:

Could be worse, you could have adopted Philly. :contract:

I mean, NFC East is just terrible overall. Cowboys leading the pack with a whopping 2 wins?
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2020, 01:24:43 AM

Neither, though a bit of the second part is there since they stubbornly held on for 25 years too long. Incompetence, mismanagement, and stupidity are the real answers.

They announced the options they were considering for the new nickname and somebody went out and bought the rights to them all. How do you let that happen? When you are as idiotic as the Washington Football Team.

Even then they fucked it up. If they became the Washington Football Club they might have had a Washington FC going for them. But nope had to fuck that up and become the Washington Football Team.

Unfortunately this kind of poor attention to detail, laziness, and incompetence has extended to every part of the organization over the past 20 years. The only exceptions are when it morphs into malice like in the abuse of power with the sex abuse shit.

This organization is a dumpster fire. The fact that Dan Snyder could have been successful with such systematically toxically incompetent management skills discredits the Great Man Theory of Capitalism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Well they have the Yankees.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Speaking of baseball, last night's walk off in Game 5 of the World Series popped up in my Twitter feed and ... it's quite special.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1320219342211080193?s=19
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2020, 07:41:31 PM

And baseball is the one sport I couldn't give a toss about  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2020, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2020, 07:41:31 PM

And baseball is the one sport I couldn't give a toss about  :lol:

Then you definitely picked the wrong city to adopt for US Sports.