News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 14, 2016, 10:29:51 AM
That was the craziest finish to a stage I've ever seen. From the moment the camera caught Froome running up Mont Ventoux sans bicycle to him crossing the line I just watched in disbelief.

Yeah.  :wacko:

Pity for Richie Port, he has a puncture at the worst possible point of race, has a nightmare wheel change with Mavis neutral service and loses a load of time.

Then he and other leaders have a crash with a motorbike, when he's showing himself to be the strongest and is beginning to ride away. Froome then endures a comedy turn with Mavis neutral service, loses lots of time, but eventually natural justice prevails and Froome is re-instated as leader.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

I wonder what Mavis gets out of this, every time a rider has to settle for their service we get a long take on how slow the change is, or how it doesn't work at all. I'll never forget Voigt yelling and swearing after a bad wheel change from the neutral motorbike.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 14, 2016, 04:29:07 PM
I wonder what Mavis gets out of this, every time a rider has to settle for their service we get a long take on how slow the change is, or how it doesn't work at all. I'll never forget Voigt yelling and swearing after a bad wheel change from the neutral motorbike.

Indeed.

I once had some Mavis tyres, I sold then, hardly used.  :P

Liep

WADA recommends that Russia be excluded from all international sport events including Rio 2016. That's huge, would also mean they'd be excluded from the World Cup in Russia 2018, it's not going to happen but it's a pretty damning recommendation.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

11B4V

Deontay Wilder TKO8 Chris Arreola

Retains a heavyweight title
Records: Wilder (37-0, 36 KOs); Arreola (36-5-1, 31 KOs)

Rafael's remarks: Wilder, one of boxing's most destructive punchers, did big damage to Arreola with his power but also to himself. Making his fourth title defense, and doing so in front of a hometown crowd of 11,974 at Legacy Arena, Wilder not only busted Arreola up, knocked him down in the fourth round and nearly stopped him in the final seconds of the round, but he hits so hard that he also broke his right hand for at least the third time.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/17099303/deontay-wilder-shows-power-heart-win

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Cort won two stages in the Vuelta including the final in Madrid. We have a sprinter. :o :yeah: :o

Admiral Yi

Watched a little bit of bull riding.  Don't know if it was the particular bulls, but guys were getting the living shit kicked out of them.  Might as well lie on the ground while somebody whales on you with a baseball bat.

Also interesting that there were two Brazilians competing (one of whom won).

mongers

Quote from: Liep on September 11, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
Cort won two stages in the Vuelta including the final in Madrid. We have a sprinter. :o :yeah: :o

All in all, an excellent Vuelta, really enjoyed watching it. Quintana a deserving winner.

That stage 15 where Contador ripped the race apart, was a classic.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2016, 06:21:54 PM
Watched a little bit of bull riding.  Don't know if it was the particular bulls, but guys were getting the living shit kicked out of them.  Might as well lie on the ground while somebody whales on you with a baseball bat.

Interesting note:  the injuries found on stone age hunters, especially Neanderthals, are most consistent with professional bull riders.  Running up and stabbing a mastadon must have been quite a rough experience.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2016, 08:55:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2016, 06:21:54 PM

Interesting note:  the injuries found on stone age hunters, especially Neanderthals, are most consistent with professional bull riders.  Running up and stabbing a mastadon must have been quite a rough experience.

:cool:

Rough riders?

Syt

Considering we have some cyclining enthusiasts here: what do you guys think of the World Championships being held in Doha at the moment?

http://www.dohacycling2016.com/

Austrian athletes complain about almost no audience and it generally being the most boring WC. There's hardly anyone along the road race tracks, for example - with temperatures of about up to 60°C above the asphalt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2016, 07:21:02 AM
Considering we have some cyclining enthusiasts here: what do you guys think of the World Championships being held in Doha at the moment?

http://www.dohacycling2016.com/

Austrian athletes complain about almost no audience and it generally being the most boring WC. There's hardly anyone along the road race tracks, for example - with temperatures of about up to 60°C above the asphalt.

Money corrupts in many ways.

I wonder if there's a sporting body that doesn't make money such a priority? :unsure: