Author Topic: The Miscellaneous Sports Thread  (Read 20252 times)

Liep

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Russia is fake news
Re: The Miscellaneous Sports Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:46 am »
The Milano - San Remo route has been shortened by 47 km because of heavy snow. Pussies.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

• Blah
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2013, 11:01:06 am »
If they bring Pankration back...

They will end up with outcomes like this...

In an odd turn of events, a pankration fighter named Arrhichion (Ἀρριχίων) of Phigalia won the pankration competition at the Olympic Games despite being dead. His opponent had locked him in a chokehold and Arrhichion, desperate to loosen it, broke his opponent's toe (some records say his ankle). The opponent nearly passed out from pain and submitted. As the referee raised Arrhichion's hand, it was discovered that he had died from the chokehold. His body was crowned with the olive wreath and taken back to Phigaleia as a hero.

Would make for a great Bob Costas profile story.

Liep

• Russia is fake news
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:54 am »
Cancellara just completely obliterated his competitors in the Ronde van Vlaanderen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »
Globalisation is awesome. I'm watching the World Curling Championship in Brazil! :w00t:

Barrister

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2013, 07:20:06 pm »
Globalisation is awesome. I'm watching the World Curling Championship in Brazil! :w00t:

Watching Canada-Scotland with Portuguese announcers is a bit odd though...

Liep

• Russia is fake news
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:03 am »
A spectator almost pushed Stybar of his bicycle at Paris - Roubaix, this was only moments after another spectator stepped infront of another rider from the leading group and crashed him.

I hope the French lynch those two idiots.

Liep

• Russia is fake news
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2013, 09:18:55 am »
Cancellara wins, what a sneaky fuck.

Neil

• Wise
  • Administrator
  • Blessed by Valmy
  • I am that I am
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
The Danes just about got a world men's curling bronze.  That's far more interesting than cycling, wouldn't you say?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2013, 05:40:40 pm »
The Danes just about got a world men's curling bronze.  That's far more interesting than cycling, wouldn't you say?

Curling needs more stringent drug testing.
Melinda was mine til the time that I found her
Holding Jim, loving him.
Then Sue came along, loved me strong
That's what I thought
But me and Sue, that died too.

Liep

• Russia is fake news
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »

Not really, no.

mongers

• Octogon Champion
  • Living like a Lord in Rural Poverty
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2013, 08:19:53 pm »
Cancellara wins, what a sneaky fuck.

The guys who ride that have bigger balls that I do, I hate ******* cobbles. 

Highlights here, though you may need to 'provide' a UK postcode to watch:
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/cycling-spring-classic-highlights/series-1/episode-2-paris-roubaix
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

• Wise
  • Administrator
  • Blessed by Valmy
  • I am that I am
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2013, 07:59:21 am »
Not really, no.
Curling is a sport of skill, strategy and endurance.  Cycling is a sport that measures how good your drugs are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

• Russia is fake news
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:00 am »
Curling is a sport of skill, strategy and endurance.  Cycling is a sport that measures how good your drugs are.

Cancellara wasn't necessarily the strongest yesterday, although surely the best drugged. He won simply by keeping his cool and outsmarting his opponent.

Neil

• Wise
  • Administrator
  • Blessed by Valmy
  • I am that I am
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2013, 07:40:21 am »

Cancellara wasn't necessarily the strongest yesterday, although surely the best drugged. He won simply by keeping his cool and outsmarting his opponent.
And taking the best drugs.

Neil

• Wise
  • Administrator
  • Blessed by Valmy
  • I am that I am
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:35 am »
Hey, cricket is on TV.  Gonna watch me some IPL.