News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The Milano - San Remo route has been shortened by 47 km because of heavy snow. Pussies.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2013, 10:25:21 AM
If they bring Pankration back...

They will end up with outcomes like this...

QuoteIn an odd turn of events, a pankration fighter named Arrhichion (Ἀρριχίων) of Phigalia won the pankration competition at the Olympic Games despite being dead. His opponent had locked him in a chokehold and Arrhichion, desperate to loosen it, broke his opponent's toe (some records say his ankle). The opponent nearly passed out from pain and submitted. As the referee raised Arrhichion's hand, it was discovered that he had died from the chokehold. His body was crowned with the olive wreath and taken back to Phigaleia as a hero.

Would make for a great Bob Costas profile story.

Liep

Cancellara just completely obliterated his competitors in the Ronde van Vlaanderen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Globalisation is awesome. I'm watching the World Curling Championship in Brazil! :w00t:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2013, 06:55:44 PM
Globalisation is awesome. I'm watching the World Curling Championship in Brazil! :w00t:

Watching Canada-Scotland with Portuguese announcers is a bit odd though...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

A spectator almost pushed Stybar of his bicycle at Paris - Roubaix, this was only moments after another spectator stepped infront of another rider from the leading group and crashed him.

I hope the French lynch those two idiots.

Liep

Cancellara wins, what a sneaky fuck.

Neil

The Danes just about got a world men's curling bronze.  That's far more interesting than cycling, wouldn't you say?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2013, 04:41:48 PM
The Danes just about got a world men's curling bronze.  That's far more interesting than cycling, wouldn't you say?

Curling needs more stringent drug testing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Not really, no.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 07, 2013, 09:18:55 AM
Cancellara wins, what a sneaky fuck.

The guys who ride that have bigger balls that I do, I hate ******* cobbles. 

Highlights here, though you may need to 'provide' a UK postcode to watch:
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/cycling-spring-classic-highlights/series-1/episode-2-paris-roubaix
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Quote from: Liep on April 07, 2013, 05:53:48 PM
Not really, no.
Curling is a sport of skill, strategy and endurance.  Cycling is a sport that measures how good your drugs are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2013, 07:59:21 AM
Curling is a sport of skill, strategy and endurance.  Cycling is a sport that measures how good your drugs are.

Cancellara wasn't necessarily the strongest yesterday, although surely the best drugged. He won simply by keeping his cool and outsmarting his opponent.

Neil

Quote from: Liep on April 08, 2013, 08:21:00 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2013, 07:59:21 AM

Cancellara wasn't necessarily the strongest yesterday, although surely the best drugged. He won simply by keeping his cool and outsmarting his opponent.
And taking the best drugs.

Neil

Hey, cricket is on TV.  Gonna watch me some IPL.