News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: PDH on May 22, 2021, 06:19:40 PM
Is she getting tips from Bjarne Riis on how to dope?

If there's one cyclist in the history of the sport I'd believe wouldn't take doping it's her. :wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

Quote from: Liep on May 23, 2021, 04:19:38 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 22, 2021, 06:19:40 PM
Is she getting tips from Bjarne Riis on how to dope?

If there's one cyclist in the history of the sport I'd believe wouldn't take doping it's her. :wub:

I just watched her final uphill sprint at Burgos - that was some great punching.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

So the Olympics are turning into a beautiful cluster fuck.
Tokyo wants to cancel.
Japan wants to cancel.
The IOC want to cancel.
Neither wants to be the one to cancel or else they'll be liable for the bill.
So it's on....
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Does somebody know what has happened exactly to Naomi Osaka at the French Open?

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2021, 08:04:22 AM
Does somebody know what has happened exactly to Naomi Osaka at the French Open?

She's sick with depression. She thought she could continue to work while avoiding the more unpleasant side of working.

The Organisation disagreed. Now, she's on actual leave.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Mathieu van der Poel wins today's Tour de Fance stage, dedicating it to his grandfather, the great Raymond Poulidor. Goosebumps.

He is also the first son of a yellow jersey cyclist to wear one himself.

Threviel

I thought van der Poel was the bestest ice skater around.

PDH

Van der Poel can be a bit polarizing (especially to the Phlegms...er Flemish people), but he has a huge talent and undeniable will to win.  He and van Aert may need to focus on more than just "all forms of cycling" in the future, but it is special to see this win and how much he wanted it.

Raymond Poulidor would be very happy for his grandson.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7rJfSrW58

Cycling has got to do something about this shit.  No other sport gives fans this much opportunity to seriously injure participants.

clandestino

Saw the extended highlights of yesterday's stage and I start to wonder if the organization is going the F1 route, with spectators eager to see all the crashes and mayhem.  :hmm:

Sad for Roglic though, kind of rooting for the guy since last year heartbreaking defeat.

PDH

Roglic seemed to indicate he was body checked off his bike - from the front video it did seem like Cobrelli swerved into Roglic.  Without the overhead view we can't really know.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Fascinating two days of racing; yesterday was a real all out fight from the get go, today's was similarly gruelling for most involved. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I am loathe to say it, but I am getting a late 90's early 00's vibe from Pogacar.  Especially in his recovery - more "normal" riders like Carapaz don't have the ability to do this day after day...

If he has a day where he cracks, even if not fully but just shows he is not back to near 100% overnight after a big effort, then perhaps he really is just a phenom.  Having a team DS who has been implicated in many doping cases over the years doesn't help my view, I think.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Liep

Quote from: PDH on July 04, 2021, 01:53:30 PM
I am loathe to say it, but I am getting a late 90's early 00's vibe from Pogacar.  Especially in his recovery - more "normal" riders like Carapaz don't have the ability to do this day after day...

If he has a day where he cracks, even if not fully but just shows he is not back to near 100% overnight after a big effort, then perhaps he really is just a phenom.  Having a team DS who has been implicated in many doping cases over the years doesn't help my view, I think.

He's been so much better than the competition in the alps so it would be kind of naive not to be suspicious.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

I am still wondering how a Mauro Giannetti can be in the sport running a team.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM