News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

We're world champions in handball which means half the country is ecstatic and the other half is doing their best to show how little they care.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Threviel

Sweden had a good runt this World Cup, losing to Denmark in the final. It's the first time in 20 years that the Swedish handball team made it to the final.

celedhring

I've always found handball to be one of those sports that it's rather boring to watch but extremely fun to play. Always had a blast in school.

Syt

Handball is great fun to watch. Went to plenty THW Kiel matches during my college days, plus matches of my local grassroots team where a few friends played. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

I find it's fun to watch and one of the few team sports where it's equally entertaining with women games.

celedhring

I find the plays rather repetitive, is all. But the concept of throwing the ball at people is just too much fun when you're 12  :lol:

Threviel

I don't know if it's true or not, but I talked to a goalie once. He claimed that they regularly sprained their fingers in all manners of different angles in almost every game. Ouch. :wacko:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2021, 03:50:58 AM
I find the plays rather repetitive, is all.

Based on limited viewing it looks like there is only one offensive play.

Breakaway, fail, weave, repeat.

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on February 01, 2021, 03:53:36 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I talked to a goalie once. He claimed that they regularly sprained their fingers in all manners of different angles in almost every game. Ouch. :wacko:

Not surprised, considering most handball goalies are a bit no the crazy side. I guess you have to be when you regularly block high velocity shots with your face. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2021, 04:01:31 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2021, 03:50:58 AM
I find the plays rather repetitive, is all.

Based on limited viewing it looks like there is only one offensive play.

Breakaway, fail, weave, repeat.

:yes:

People claim there's a lot of technique and tactics involved. I just see large guys running into each other then stopping the play because of fouls awarded arbitrarily to defense or offense.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

We have a new Wozniacki! It's Clara Tauson and apparently she's very good.

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1368576530905853963

Liep

Liep

Denmark's greatest sports star just won her first world tour stage.

PDH

Quote from: Liep on May 22, 2021, 04:12:52 PM
Denmark's greatest sports star just won her first world tour stage.

Is she getting tips from Bjarne Riis on how to dope?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM