The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2020, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2020, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2020, 07:41:31 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2020, 01:54:03 AM
Don't make me look at how the Giants are doing Syt.

Fuck, I just did  :(

Why o why of all the cities in the US, did I have to adopt New York City for sports  :lol:

Well they have the Yankees.

And baseball is the one sport I couldn't give a toss about  :lol:

Then you definitely picked the wrong city to adopt for US Sports.

When I moved there the Giants won a Superbowl and Jagr was playing for the Rangers. I was misled!

The Knicks were the Knicks though, never made de playoffs while I lived in NYC  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 03:41:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2020, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2020, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2020, 07:41:31 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2020, 01:54:03 AM
Don't make me look at how the Giants are doing Syt.

Fuck, I just did  :(

Why o why of all the cities in the US, did I have to adopt New York City for sports  :lol:

Well they have the Yankees.

And baseball is the one sport I couldn't give a toss about  :lol:

Then you definitely picked the wrong city to adopt for US Sports.

When I moved there the Giants won a Superbowl and Jagr was playing for the Rangers. I was misled!

The Knicks were the Knicks though, never made de playoffs while I lived in NYC  :lol:

Last season they qualified was 2012-13.

celedhring

I left one year before Linsanity and Carmelo Anthony, which was the only fun to be had by the Knicks in the XXIst century.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 06:03:29 AM
I left one year before Linsanity and Carmelo Anthony, which was the only fun to be had by the Knicks in the XXIst century.

Those were in two different seasons, Carmelo arrived in NY during the 2010-11 season, and Linsanity was in early 2012.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2020, 06:13:44 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 06:03:29 AM

Those were in two different seasons, Carmelo arrived in NY during the 2010-11 season, and Linsanity was in early 2012.

True, since they traded for Melo midseason (so 2011-12 was the first full Melo season) I kinda fused both events in my brain. I had already left the city, anyway, never got to watch either at the MSG.

Never got to watch the Giants live either, on account of how stupidly expensive NFL tickets are. But I was at the championship parade and still have my commemorative hoodie  :P

EDIT: And a Jaromir Jagr Rangers jersey. Those are my sporting mementos from my life as a new yorker  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 06:18:03 AM

EDIT: And a Jaromir Jagr Rangers jersey. Those are my sporting mementos from my life as a new yorker  :P

Did you sport an assorted mullet while wearing it, as well?  :P

mongers

Surprising win for a Brit, Hart* in the Giro :bowler:

* I won't attempt to smell** his name, potential minefield.

** Intentional typo, I wonder if any Languishites will pck on this?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Congrats to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Good month to be from LA...well except for all the fires.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 06:18:03 AM
True, since they traded for Melo midseason (so 2011-12 was the first full Melo season) I kinda fused both events in my brain. I had already left the city, anyway, never got to watch either at the MSG.

Hopefully you got to see *something* at The Garden.

Barrister

Edmonton sports legend Joey Moss died the other day.

Who was Joey Moss?  He was a locker room attendant for both the Oilers and the CFL Football team (formerly the Eskimos).  He had been for 30+ years.  He apparently was a huge fixture with both teams, getting to know players over the decades.  Connor McDavid posted a picture of McDavid, Gretzky and Joey Moss to Twitter on the news of his passing said 'here's a picture of the great one - and number 99'.

He also had Down Syndrome, and passed away at age 57.

Anyways here's a link if you want a heartwarming story to read today.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/joey-moss-bled-edmonton-sports-taught-generation-vulnerability/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Impressive age for someone with Down. RIP.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Sounds like a Canadian  version of Neil Baldwin.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Another tribute to Joey Moss, this one written by Sam Gagner, former Oilers player.  The thing is he just doesn't talk about how great Joey was around the locker room, he talks about just hanging out with Joey at his place, or going to WWE events with Joey, and all the good times they had.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/sam-gagner-joey-moss-edmonton-oilers-hockey

Barrister

Played hockey last night - man I had a great game.   :cool:

First of all my team had been getting blown out (we were outscored 29-2 in our first 4 games) so we just got moved down a decision.  That really helps because players aren't on you quite so fast, giving you a second or two to actually think about what to do.

Now I'm a defensive-minded defenceman, and I've never scored a goal.  I have picked up a few assists in the past but they have all been of the nature where I shovel a puck towards the general vicinity of the goal, and one of our players gets the puck and scores.

But last night I had two beauty assists where I had the puck, saw our player was open, passed right to our player, who went on to score.  The second assist was even a gorgeous (if I do say so myself) blueline-to-blueline stretch pass that gave our player a 1 on 0 shot.

I even took a penalty (second ever) where I hooked a player from behind on a breakaway.  I was hoping to just slow him down not trip him (I suspect he went down deliberately looking for the penalty) but whatever - it was totally a "good" penalty to take.

It had been a really close game, with us up 2-0 going into the third period, but the other team lost their cool a bit and it wound up being 8-1.  The other team's best player (who had been arguing with the refs all night) even took a penalty with under 3 minutes left, argued that, got another 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.  Then the other team took a real obvious Too Many Men penalty, giving us a 5 on 3 for the final minute (we scored that eight goal with 1 second left on the clock).

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.