News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

It's a huge deal here.  People are setting off fireworks and everything given how important horse racing is to this town.

Kinda neat that the horse's name is American Pharaoh but it's owned by an Egyptian Jew. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Wait there are still Egyptian Jews around?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2015, 07:11:35 PM
Wait there are still Egyptian Jews around?
He lives in America of course. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

X-games continues to impress with its insanity. Off road truck racing. :o :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2015, 06:54:55 PM
American Pharaoh won the Triple Crown!!!  :w00t: :worthy:

That's awesome.  Last horse was who, Seattle Slew?

Did they change the entry rules for the Preakness that they were bitching about last year?

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2015, 07:08:04 PM
It's a huge deal here.  People are setting off fireworks and everything given how important horse racing is to this town.

Kinda neat that the horse's name is American Pharaoh but it's owned by an Egyptian Jew. :)

The name is actually American Pharoah :bleeding: :lol:

QuoteAmerican Pharoah's name is inspired by that of his sire, Pioneerof the Nile, and his dam's sire, Yankee Gentleman.[20] The horse's name also acknowledges Zayat's own dual Egyptian-American background.[21] The misspelling of "Pharaoh" is permanent, but inadvertent. Zayat originally claimed that the spelling was the result of an error by The Jockey Club, but the organization's president stated, "The name request for the 2012 colt American Pharoah was submitted electronically on January 25, 2014, through The Jockey Club's interactive registration site. Since the name met all of the criteria for naming and was available, it was granted exactly as it was spelled on the digital name application." Zayat later retracted his statement.[22][d]

Zayat's wife, Joanne, offered another explanation for the name's origins to a local news reporter just before the Preakness. Zayat's son, Justin, ran a contest on social media in which fans could submit names for the horse. The winning entry had "Pharaoh" misspelled, she said. "Justin cut and pasted the name from [the winner's] email, and sent it to the Jockey Club."[23][24] Marsha Baumgartner of Barnett, Missouri, who submitted the winning entry, told The New York Times, "I don't want to assign blame," but "I looked up the spelling before I entered." Nonetheless, Baumgartner minimized the controversy, stating, "Horses can't spell, anyway."[20][e]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2015, 01:08:17 PM
That's awesome.  Last horse was who, Seattle Slew?

Affirmed, one year later.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Did you know that the 1st European Games with 6,000 athletes start today? I didn't. Yay, Baku? :unsure:

http://www.baku2015.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Deontay Wilder
29 years old
33-0 (32 KO's) 
6' 7"
220-230 lbs
84" reach

on a collision course with an ageing Wladimir Klitscho

39 years old
64-3 (53 KO's)
6' 6"
246 lbs
81" reach

Look for this fight soon.

Back in the day George Foreman was considered a monster at 6' 4" 220 lbs. He would be considered average in the hwt division nowadays.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

If he can get thru Drummer Boy first.

And also when both join the Al Ayman UFC/FOM style boxing company.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2015, 12:15:54 AM
Did you know that the 1st European Games with 6,000 athletes start today? I didn't. Yay, Baku? :unsure:

Yeah, I heard a radio spot for the live transmission, even the speaker couldn't find any enthusiasm.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2015, 08:24:40 AM
If he can get thru Drummer Boy first.

And also when both join the Al Ayman UFC/FOM style boxing company.

He will have no problem with Molina. Stiverne was a tougher customer.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Uh, that means it'll will be over by the first minute.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

39 versus 29 is worrying. Nobody wanted to see Ali versus Larry Holmes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2015, 12:15:54 AM

Yeah, I heard a radio spot for the live transmission, even the speaker couldn't find any enthusiasm.

It's as if you guys went out and recreated all the excitement of the Pan Am Games, but for Europe.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.