News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

How can you start ticking off great Kentucky athletes and not mention Muhammad Ali first? :huh:

Actually, if we're not sticking to humans, you should mention Secretariat first or maybe Man o' War.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on June 07, 2014, 10:16:49 PM
How can you start ticking off great Kentucky athletes and not mention Muhammad Ali first? :huh:

I didn't know he was from Kentucky, I thought he was from Michiana (I was on a flight with him once from Michiana to Chicago--a quick flight on a super small prop plane--I figured he lived there because that is where he was born).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

What was the owner of California Chrome bitching about?

alfred russel

Apparently your horse has to have run, and run well, in several races to get in the Kentucky Derby.

To get your horse into the Belmont, it doesn't have to run all the races to get in, a key part of getting your horse in the race is writing a check.

He is upset because California Chrome ran a bunch of races to get into the Kentucky Derby, then the first two legs of the triple crown, while the winner of the Belmont skipped the other two legs of the triple crown and had only run like one other race or something. So his horse is a bit worn down from a lot of racing, but going up against fresh horses.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

That was a pretty good rant by that dude. 

Liep

Wozzy was dumped by that funny looking Irish kid and is now good at tennis again. Thanks heaven, it's been some tough years.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Tour de France 2014 in GIFs. (Note none of them feature doped riders because no one was caught this year!!!)

Cavendish's crash on the first stage. One of the many favourites who crashed out, Contador and Froome included.

Slippery roads in week 1

New front runner has to learn the robes:

42 year old Jens Voigt's last TdF (18 or so total):

Sagan still insane on a bike:

Spectators are still idiots:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Overall, a pretty interesting Tour.

Nibali didn't put a foot wrong and was a fitting winner, well done to the Frenchmen in 2nd and 3rd place.  :frog:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on July 28, 2014, 07:00:51 AM

Those robes don't look particularly difficult.

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on July 28, 2014, 07:00:51 AM

Those robes don't look particularly difficult.

Liep

Caro vs. Serena in the US Open final. Will the Polish born resident of Monaco win her first Grand Slam and bring glory to the nation of DENMARK? No, probably not.

Liep

Quote from: Liep on September 07, 2014, 03:33:38 PM
Caro vs. Serena in the US Open final. Will the Polish born resident of Monaco win her first Grand Slam and bring glory to the nation of DENMARK? No, probably not.

The live text update's latest entry simply reads shit.., so I'm gonna bump that up to a 'definitely not'.

Liep

Also, all 6 major Danish newspapers and the 2 national tv channels has a journalist doing live text updates.

Liep