And we're back!

Main Menu

CFL Thread

Started by Barrister, August 06, 2011, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2023, 10:46:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2023, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2023, 05:14:36 PMThe National Anthem wasn't even bilingual.

You're really outing yourself for not watching the game.  "Oh Canada" was definitely bilingual.  The field had big "LCF" markings on it.
I did say multiple times I could not watch the game.  I know I missed a good game, I really wanted to, but it was impossible for me.

I mixed up a few things, but read the text I posted for clarifications.

OK understood.  You did miss a good game (other than the winner).

I can understand the enthusiasm of the player upon having just won the Grey Cup , it's just logically the whole "they disrespected the French language" just doesn't hold up.

But I mean "us against the world" is a common motivation in sports - it's just I don't think the world was against the Montreal Alouettes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

For the Als, it doesn't matter if it was true or justified. Like you said BB, it's a common motivation and Maas really lean into it this year & MAD bought it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I don't know if anyone else will care, but Edmonton Elks announce a "review" of their ownership structure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/struggling-edmonton-elks-to-review-ownership-structure-amid-mounting-losses-1.7037987

Elks have been community owned since their founding in 1949.  There are only two other community-owned teams in the league: Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.  (incidentally, those three seem to have the biggest crowd of supporters).

Elks though have been hit by a double-whammy over the last 4 years of Covid-19 (2020 season was cancelled) plus they've been historically bad over this stretch.  They had a a 3+ year home losing streak from 2019 until this past summer where they couldn't win a game at home (note of course no games in 2020).

So now they're saying that although they can finance themselves for 2024, they're afraid they can't play past that without additional funds.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2023, 04:40:01 PMSo now they're saying that although they can finance themselves for 2024, they're afraid they can't play past that without additional funds.
Oh, that's sad news. :(

I hope they find a solution to their financing problem.  They seem to have a prospective owner, so it might be good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Personally I hope they hold a telethon, ala the Sask Roughriders.

But seriously - there must be ways to re-capitalize the team and keep it in community hands.  Maybe do a share sale (like the Packers, or again like the 'Riders)?

Barrister

What's this - exciting CFL off-season news?

Yes it's exciting CFL off-season news.

Chris Streveler has signed a contract with the Blue Bombers.

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/31/bombers-bring-back-chris-streveler-on-one-year-contract/

Streveler was a big part of the team's 2019 Grey Cup win, but then went down to the NFL were he started a handful of games but never really secured a starting job.

Mostly though he'll always be famous for how he celebrated that 2019 Grey Cup win.