News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Achtung Panzer: Operation Star

Started by Syt, December 07, 2011, 08:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Arvoreen

Trying to find details, but I can't...is multi-player supported?

Syt

Well, broke down.

I guess this was what Combat Mission: Campaigns was supposed to be. You have your units, move them Platoon-wise across an operational map and if you meet an enemy the battle is played out. Game covers fighting near Kharkov in Feb/Mar 1943.

Only that the maps are rather large. In my first attempt I had an infantry platoon and an infantry gun attack a square from two different "corners" and it took me almost 15 minutes to bring the gun anywhere near the infantry platoon.

The uncertainty about enemy strength and movement is interesting, as you don't quite know what opponents you will have in any given battle. Fresh reserves? Depleted units on the retreat?

Anyways, I've started the scenario for the 2nd SS Panzer who have to force a breakthrough. Scenario length is 10 turns, and I think 1 turn is one hour? Each turn can have any number of tactical battles. Combat is real time pausable. Not sure I'm always happy with pathfinding (e.g. StuGs trying to get past buildings), but I've seen worse; and your units have some bit of autonomy (think, again, Combat Mission). Tactical combat will typically feature several platoons, so small scale.

I think the engine would lend itself very well to a Battle of the Bulge setting.

Anyways, here's two SdKfz with SS Pioniere and a StuG advancing over a field strewn with still warm Ivans.

All SdKfz's have different unit numbers on their hull. It's a small detail, but a nice touch.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

This was not part of my brilliant plan.  :blush:

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Doctor! Doctor! Can't you see I'm burning burning?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Syt

Can't say yet. Feels like Combat Mission, tactically, with some campaigning thrown in (moving battalions/platoons around on an operational map, replenishing/resting units). Also, as the campaigns are dynamic, every encounter will be a little bit different. One time you may run into a lonely rifle brigade, another time into tanks and arty. So far I'm enjoying it, though. I'm not a strategic mastermind, however. :P

Read the review I linked - it covers most points.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Are there other units on your side you can't control?  One infantry gun + one platoon sounds like a pretty meager battle.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2011, 01:29:33 PM
Are there other units on your side you can't control?  One infantry gun + one platoon sounds like a pretty meager battle.

Well, it depends on what units you have nearby.

The game's strat map is divided into squares. Each square holds a platoon or brigade or company, depending on unit type. Combat happens, when a unit from one side tries to enter a square occupied by a unit from the other side. The attacker can actually attack with units from more than one square. However, the defender also has access to adjacent units.

The wholw skirmish map looks something like this. Each letter is a square on the strat map. X is the combat square. A is squares with attacker units, D is squares with defender units. O is empty.

OOD
AXD
AAO

In this case the attacker has 3 units on the attack, the defender also (one in the X, and the two Ds). You won't see superhuge battles with hundreds of tanks, but small scale unit action representing bits of the whole battle. If you have attacks along several squares during one turn, this would represent several small combats that take place simultaneously, and if a unit can take part in two different skirmishes you will have to economize, I guess.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2011, 01:29:33 PM

well, that's much better on this scale than the micro-hell you can found in the CM games.

Syt

Well in my recent battle I had four platoons of halftracks with engineers and a platoon of 4 StuGs. It was very manageable. The maps are HUGE, though, so there's a lot of room for maneuver and recon/probing is actually useful.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Tamas, why is your English turning to shit?  :lol:

Tamas

Kleves

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2011, 01:54:26 PM
Well in my recent battle I had four platoons of halftracks with engineers and a platoon of 4 StuGs. It was very manageable. The maps are HUGE, though, so there's a lot of room for maneuver and recon/probing is actually useful.
Do you control the tanks/halftracks individually, or as a platoon?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.