News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Galactic Civilizations 3 is 50% off.  It hasn't been released yet.  I don't think that's a good sign.

Grey Fox

It's not but its also an indication that the original price point was crazy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Caliga

Beyond Earth just went on sale for 50% off on Steam.

Is it: worth that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Discounts on Steam:

Alien Isolation: -75%
Valkyria Chronicles: -66%
Most stuff Total War: -75%
Dawn of War II -75%
And lots of other SEGA stuff heavily discounted.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Aint nobody from round here want to touch no Valkyria Chronicles

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 30, 2015, 11:28:05 AM
Relax.

Lettow77

I sure wasn't worked up, Cal- I just wanted to forestall any misguided purchases. Valkyria Chronicles is way out of Languish's comfort zone, and is also bretty bad.

Caliga

Lettow77

Problems within Valkyria Chronicles

Gameplay- The first and most obvious area, Valkyria Chronicles gameplay is a semi-turnbased "tactical" game with very repetitive gameplay. Ostensibly a 1930s-esque tactical wargame, it can be hard to accept an infantrymen taking 30+ shots because the person holding the gun was a "scout" or so on. Features are introduced in a trickle-feed, and gameplay is heavily interspersed with long, extensive cutscenes. Just about everything has input for grinding, but it's just numbers going higher rather than interesting new features- your tank's damage output gets higher while the enemies you are fighting get tougher HP and so on, making it all a wash.   The game was a lazy port to PC, and even as a console game had outmoded ideas about interface, making saving, loading or quitting very time-consuming affairs. Where most games can be exited by tapping escape twice, Valkyria Chronicles makes a chore of maneuvering multiple screens.

Setting- Overt anime setting; this hardened military force is of course over half girls, as young as twelve. Dialogue is insufferable, and suffers from hideously off-base subtitles or a terrible dub in either case. While shooting for an anime military appeal would turn off most languish users, it doesn't even do it very successfully- the girls simply aren't cute, by and large. All the tropes are there, though- of course you live with a subservient quite little sister, and of course she isn't blood related and has romantic interest in you. Japanese takes on an alternate 1930s European military engagement are a bewilderingly large genre, and this is about the worst.

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 30, 2015, 12:04:34 PM
Japanese takes on an alternate 1930s European military engagement are a bewilderingly large genre

Well I guess that is sure better than 1930s Japanese military engagement being a bewilderingly large genre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

"94% of the 2,663 user reviews for this game are positive."
:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

All the tropes are there, though- of course you live with a subservient quite little sister, and of course she isn't blood related and has romantic interest in you.

Is that a big fantasy in Japan?  Here, that's creepy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2015, 08:30:12 PM
All the tropes are there, though- of course you live with a subservient quite little sister, and of course she isn't blood related and has romantic interest in you.

Is that a big fantasy in Japan?  Here, that's creepy.
I would imagine there's a fair section of their shut-in or near-shut-in culture that craves the love of a harmless, innocent supportive girl.  Real girls would be a bit too scary.  It's kind of an evolution of the 'fall in love with your childhood friend' trope, tailored for a generation that never had any childhood friends of the opposite sex.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 30, 2015, 11:28:05 AM

Too late. Bought for my PS3 back in the day. Liked it a lot.