News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2014, 04:30:47 AM
It also depends on the commenter itself. Before buying games I might check out let's plays of the game in question. Or I watch it to see how someone else plays a game, maybe to learn something new or see a new spin (usually with strategy titles). Or if there's multiple endings to a game I might check those out.

But it all stands and falls with the one playing it. A silent playthrough can be good if you just want gameplay. Normal gameplay commentary can be interesting if it explains mechanics. Beyond that it'll be personal tastes, and even with the same commenter it can vary from game to game. I find Jesse Cox obnoxious in one game, amusing and hilarious in another. I like SplatterCat when he explains the mechanics of an indie game, but some of his jokes in his playthroughs can be really annoying and boring. I generally like quill18 and Arumba. quill is a nice enough guy and does gameplay in a way I find entertaining. Arumba focuses more on gameplay (he's usually playing to min/max), and he did a pretty decent CK2 tutorial a few months ago.

SF Debris occasionally does some game commentary, but his is heavily edited into a story review format (because that's what he normally does), covering ME2, KotOR and DA:O so far. Actually, his doing DA:O prompted me to finally make it through DA:O myself, because I wanted to watch his commentary and story analysis, but I didn't want to have the game story spoiled for me (at least not huge spoilers).

Also, when you get heavily into a game, you'll typically find some community member who doesn't have the general name recognition, but is really, really good at coverage of the game in question.  For Space Engineers, for example, I  tend to follow SAGE's mod spotlight videos.

As far as the appeal of commenters, there is also a class of games that I'm just too cheap/poor to buy, or where I won't/can't play it for various other reasons (survival horror games come to mind, as well as most grand strategy games).  I'm interested in them, I appreciate the design, but I gotta see it from somebody else.
Experience bij!

Berkut

Quote from: Zanza on December 30, 2014, 04:09:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 29, 2014, 08:04:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 04:14:14 AM
It's weird with me, though. It's not that I don't want to play the games, or lack the time to do so. But for some reason I instead end up watching someone else play a game I enjoy on Twitch or YouTube. Sometimes for hours.

That is fucking bizarre.
I never got the appeal of watching others play computer games, but isn't it a bit like watching sports without playing them yourself? I do that and it seems a rather popular pastime for many people.

Good question.

I love watching sports, but I love playing them as well.

I like watchning college basketball, but I am pretty sure I would love PLAYING college basketball even more. Sadly, for some reason my slowness, weight, 2.6 inch vertical leap, inability to shoot and poor dribbling skills are unfairly held against me, so watching is the only option.

I've certainly gone through times where I am burned out on video games and mostly stop playing - but I don't replace it with watching other people play video games!

I mean, no big deal, we all do what we want to do to amuse ourselves. Lord knows most people probably think my choices of hobbies is pretty fucking bizarre as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I picked up Banner Saga and Wasteland 2 in Steam sales over the past week. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PRC

That Ultimate General: Gettysburg is on sale right now for 50% off.  If I recall some posters were unhappy with it because they couldn't dismount their cavalry?   Not sure if that spoiled the game or if it is worth getting... any assessments?

Berkut

0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on December 31, 2014, 02:59:02 PM
Endless Space for $4.99???

Depends. It's a solid game, but if you have played lots of 4x games it will probably feel very basic.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Iormlund

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2014, 03:03:34 PM

Depends. It's a solid game, but if you have played lots of 4x games it will probably feel very basic.

Oh. I thought it was one of the more complex ones....

0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on December 31, 2014, 04:08:51 PM

I admit that I haven't played the DLCs, which may add depth to it. Imho the "basicness" was sort of a strength; the game was very robust, clean, and easy to get its hands on.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on December 31, 2014, 04:08:51 PM

I think Distant Worlds is the current reigning super-complex-space-4x champ.

Syt

Graviteam Tactics (former "Achtung Panzer") Operation Star and most expansions are 75% off on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/

Some of the add ons are a bit "out there": Operation Hooper (Namibia), Zhalanashkol 1969 between USSR and PRC, or Shield of the Prophet (Afghanistan 1979).

I liked Operation Star well enough. Kind of what Combat Mission Campaigns was supposed to do (operational map that generates the encounters in tactical). Unit density in tactical could be a bit sparse, but repeatedly fighting over a piece of estate and coming back to the burnt out vehicles of the last engagement was pretty neat.

However: UI sucks big time.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I was looking at that.  How does it play?

Syt

I haven't spent quite as much time with it as I would like, but here's two reviews of the Original Achtung Panzer and AP: Operation Star, one looking more at the tactical side, the other at the operational side:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/07/wot-i-think-achtung-panzer/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/06/wot-i-think-achtung-panzer-operation-star/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.