And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on December 29, 2014, 08:04:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 04:14:14 AM
It's weird with me, though. It's not that I don't want to play the games, or lack the time to do so. But for some reason I instead end up watching someone else play a game I enjoy on Twitch or YouTube. Sometimes for hours.

That is fucking bizarre.

I've a theory, the way people approach gaming is similar to how they go about having sex.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

I tend to play a few games (mostly modded) for very long stretches. I have a handful over 100 hours: Xcom (100 hours), DoW II (104), DA:O (111), Fallout 3 (169), Mount&Blade (434) and Dota2  (a whopping 1111 hours, though likely <300 actually played). I don't have statitics on MTW2 (I played TA a lot), DoW:DK or HL mods.

F:NV, Skyrim and Civ V will likely surpass 100 hours as well eventually.

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on December 29, 2014, 08:40:32 AM
It's weird with me, though. It's not that I don't want to play the games, or lack the time to do so. But for some reason I instead end up watching someone else play a game I enjoy on Twitch or YouTube. Sometimes for hours.

That is fucking bizarre.

I've a theory that the way people approach gaming is similar to how they go about having sex.  :)

How would I even...? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
I know.

If it makes you feel better I have watched several hundred matches of Dota 2. :P

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on December 29, 2014, 09:10:33 AM

That is fucking bizarre.

I've a theory that the way people approach gaming is similar to how they go about having sex.  :)

Watch Goat Simulator Let's Plays?

Iormlund

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on December 29, 2014, 03:22:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 29, 2014, 09:10:33 AM

That is fucking bizarre.

Watch Goat Simulator Let's Plays?

:mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on December 29, 2014, 04:04:34 AM
Humble bundle has boosted the amount of games I haven't even installed by a significant amount.

That's the boat I'm in, as well.  $60 will get me one AAA PC or console title, but usually about 50 games via Humble Bundle.  Guess which way I prefer to go?
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 01:53:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 28, 2014, 05:33:09 PM
So Syt, how's Starpoint Gemini 2?

Do I look like I play games? I buy them, I don't play them. I'm the CdM of Steam. :P

I have 351 games according to my library (or 359 according to my profile :hmm: ), and only 6 titles have more than 50 hours playtime: Sims 3 (130 hours  :blush: ), Civ5 (84 hours), CK2 (82 hours), Bejeweled 3 (73 hours :blush: ), Dragon Age Origins (71 hours), Skyrim (51) hours. Over 300 with less than 5 hours. Not to mention about 200 titles with less than an hour in it.

It's why the Steam sales have become rather unexciting for me - a lot of the discounted titles that I'd be interested have the "in Library" tag by now. :blush:

TBF, some games I've finished are short, i.e. under 20 hours (Batman, Wolfenstein, SpecOps: The Line and others).

:lol:

I don't play games, I don't even buy most of them. I just talk about them on video game forums. We all have our sins mate ;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

That is fucking bizarre.
I never got the appeal of watching others play computer games, but isn't it a bit like watching sports without playing them yourself? I do that and it seems a rather popular pastime for many people.

Syt

It also depends on the commenter itself. Before buying games I might check out let's plays of the game in question. Or I watch it to see how someone else plays a game, maybe to learn something new or see a new spin (usually with strategy titles). Or if there's multiple endings to a game I might check those out.

But it all stands and falls with the one playing it. A silent playthrough can be good if you just want gameplay. Normal gameplay commentary can be interesting if it explains mechanics. Beyond that it'll be personal tastes, and even with the same commenter it can vary from game to game. I find Jesse Cox obnoxious in one game, amusing and hilarious in another. I like SplatterCat when he explains the mechanics of an indie game, but some of his jokes in his playthroughs can be really annoying and boring. I generally like quill18 and Arumba. quill is a nice enough guy and does gameplay in a way I find entertaining. Arumba focuses more on gameplay (he's usually playing to min/max), and he did a pretty decent CK2 tutorial a few months ago.

SF Debris occasionally does some game commentary, but his is heavily edited into a story review format (because that's what he normally does), covering ME2, KotOR and DA:O so far. Actually, his doing DA:O prompted me to finally make it through DA:O myself, because I wanted to watch his commentary and story analysis, but I didn't want to have the game story spoiled for me (at least not huge spoilers).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

The only LPs I watch are Gopher's. He tends to go for a lot of immersion and roleplaying his in-game characters, which I enjoy.

Syt

Hm, I find him a bit too heavy on the technical side of mods for my tastes. I did like his S.T.A.L.K.E.R. playing though.
—Stephen Jay Gould