Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

All of the Call of Doody games are for sale this weekend on Steam.  :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

GOG are taking a bunch of games out of their catalog, so they have a "Last Chance" sale with up to 80% off:

http://www.gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814

If you buy now, the game will remain in your collection even after it's taken off their store.

Also, Activision sale (Vampire: The Masquerade, Kings/Space Quest, Krondor, Caesar III/Pharaoh) etc:

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=activision&page=1
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2014, 07:04:12 AM
All of the Call of Doody games are for sale this weekend on Steam.  :contract:

lol Activision and it's 50% off (down to 30$) for 3 year old games.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on August 29, 2014, 07:10:30 AM
GOG are taking a bunch of games out of their catalog, so they have a "Last Chance" sale with up to 80% off:

http://www.gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814

If you buy now, the game will remain in your collection even after it's taken off their store.

Most of this stuff is pretty esoteric, but just so you know, Red Faction 1 and 2 are in there along with Full Spectrum Warrior and FSW: Ten Hammers. 

I'm definitely getting the RF games and trying to decide if I want to get both FSW games or just the original.
Experience bij!

celedhring

Are the Gothic games in this offer worth it? Heard mixed opinions of them.

Razgovory

Syt liked them, I did not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Earlier I bought Supreme Ruler 1936 - there must be a manual somewhere yes?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

celedhring

sbr

Scipio

Quote from: celedhring on August 29, 2014, 01:35:56 PM
Are the Gothic games in this offer worth it? Heard mixed opinions of them.
Gothic II is. Gothic III is unbelievably bad.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

G3 is horrid. It's better than the clusterfuck that was originally released, but still not very good. Play Morrowind or Skyrim instead.

G1 was pretty good, if a bit stupid hard towards the end.

G2 was very good for its time, and it's one of the better designed fantasy worlds in that it makes sense (a small trade city, bunch of farms around to supply them and the mine valley, friction because the soldiers arriving need more food so the farmers hire mercenaries etc.).

It doesn't do a lot of hand holding, and in the beginning it's very easy to die because you took a wrong turn on a path or picked the wrong fight. The combat is a bit wonky.

Not sure how good the localization from German to English is, both in text and word. German voice acting tended towards the cheesy.

While knowing what happened in G1 and knowing some of the characters you meet again, playing it is not required. You get a bit of a primer at the beginning, and you could always check the wiki page.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Will probably get Gothic 2, then. I fancy a decent RPG.

Razgovory

I liked the Gothic one concept, but I hated the combat, the voice acting, and many of the characters.  The second was slightly better but still had crap combat.  I played about 10 minutes of the third one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on August 30, 2014, 04:06:38 AM
IIRC, Gothic 2 has no mouse support.  Be forewarned; it's a great concept that is a PITA to play.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2014, 05:41:37 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 30, 2014, 04:06:38 AM
IIRC, Gothic 2 has no mouse support.  Be forewarned; it's a great concept that is a PITA to play.

Uhm, yes it does. The menu system is a bit of a pain, but the normal gameplay is standard mouse-look with WASD movement.
—Stephen Jay Gould