News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The Gothic games are 50% off. I picked up the "universe" bundle for a tenner. It's Gothic 1, 2 with expansion and 3.

I got 1 & 2 for old times' sake. I especially like 2's little cosmos, that makes more sense than most fantasy settings. A small island, under threat of ork invasion. The king sends Paladins who pretty much declare martial law in the little harbor town. The farmers who supply the city with food are pressured into delivering more and more supplies till the largest land owner says "Enough!" and hires ex-cons as mercenaries to ward off the king's men.

There is actually a logic to the whole setting. The special ore on the island is (or rather: was) mined by convicts behind a magical one way barrier. A small harbor town is built to ship out the ore. And there's a bunch of farms to sustain the whole operation. I wish more fantasy settings were making that much sense.

I tried G3 again (without its India-made expansion), with the latest community patch that fixes 700+ issues that remained after official patching stopped. I was very butthurt by G3 on release - it was an unfinished, horribly buggy mess. It was encapsulated by two things for me:
1. The killer pigs of doom: wild boars are early enemies in the game. They (and some other beasts) come with an attack that knocks you over. Originally they had such a quick attack rate that once you were knocked over you could never get up again and were slowly mauled to death.
2. Running with a ranged combat companion into a herd of animals. The ranged character would not defend himself until he was attacked in melee by a beast. Which meant he was a) useless and b) quickly dead.

The opening of the game didn't help to endear it to me. Replaying it, despite fixes and a fan made rebalancing of combat/skills didn't change it. You're thrown into a combat against a horde of orks who outnumber you and your allies about 2:1. This is interrupted by the tutorial messages. You only need a few hits to be down on your ground. You can't die in this section, and are only kicked to the ground when your health runs out. You regenerate about 5% of your health, but as soon as you get up another ork comes over and knocks you back on your ass before you can get a new sword. The only way I could make it past this section right now was to run out of the little village to drink a health potion (the animation takes a few seconds and is interrupted when taking damage) and get a new weapon. Twice.

I played a bit, and there's lots of critters everywhere - which isn't unusual for a Gothic game. The game world was always very open from the start, but there were a lot of areas where you had to expect to get your ass kicked if you hadn't leveled high enough. Evasion was crucial in the early stages, and it also gave you a certain satisfaction when you could finally go and clear an area.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Assassin's Creed 4 is only $35 on Amazon, unless you pick it up for one of those new-fangled next-gen console gaming devices, in which case it's the full $60.

From what I've seen it's more Sid Meier's Pirates than Assassin's Creed, but it looks like fun and $35 seems like a good price for a brand new AAA release.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Dishonored 92% off on Steam.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

And now it's 75% off. You snooze you lose.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Bioshock Infinite is 75% off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

On my extended lunch break I swung by Gamestop and picked up (all for 360) Battlefield 4, Dishonored GOTY Edition, Lego Marvel Super Heroes (for Tommy) and Rayman Legends (also for Tommy) for $25 each.  Also picked up a used Kinect sensor for $20 for the hell of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Master of Magic is $1.79 on Gog.com;
http://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic

[fhdz] Shall I pull the trigger on this one?  [/fhdz]

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

Fallen Enchantress for less than 5 yuros, on steam: Do, or Do Not?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

frunk

Quote from: Pedrito on November 30, 2013, 10:03:11 AM
Fallen Enchantress for less than 5 yuros, on steam: Do, or Do Not?

L.

I've played it a bit recently.  It's fun but the graphics still aren't that great, the game itself does a lousy job of telling you what you can do and it has some clunky interface elements.  Still, I like it.

I'm think that a lot of the replay value is in the DLC (booo!) but definitely try it with bigger maps and higher than the easiest settings.  The smaller maps mean that not all the content will show up and on the easy settings monsters don't attack you.

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on November 29, 2013, 04:09:09 PM

Pull it. Pull it with extreme prejudice. MoM is a classic among classics.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Quote from: fhdz on November 30, 2013, 05:30:13 PM

Yeah, what a neatly designed and balanced game; I'd forgotten all about it.

Loving rediscovering all of the gameplay. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on November 30, 2013, 05:36:35 PM
Quote from: fhdz on November 30, 2013, 05:30:13 PM

Yeah, what a neatly designed and balanced game; I'd forgotten all about it.

Loving rediscovering all of the gameplay. :cheers:

:cheers:
and the horse you rode in on

Solmyr

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Phillip V

Quote from: Solmyr on December 01, 2013, 10:47:46 AM
And now Rome 2 is at -50%.

$45 with all current DLC. :hmm:

What expansion/DLC will be released next?