News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2012, 01:57:56 AM
I picked up the D&D anthology (BG1, BG2, ID1, ID2, PS:T, ToEE, plus all expansions) for EUR 9.99 from Gamersgate.

I know people hated on ToEE, but I really liked it back in the day. Good graphics, atmosphere... the whole AD&D dungeon crawl experience captured rather nicely.

Syt

I have to admit I've only played BG1 and PS:T of the games and finished none of them.

I sunk countless hours into BG1 when it was originally released. I was in the city when I was near the level cap. I knew the add on was out in a couple of weeks, raising the cap, so I waited with playing. When I finally had the expansion I loaded up my old save and was totally lost. What was the quest? Where do I have to go? WHAT'S GOING ON?? I restarted the game a few times, but never managed to get far. :blush:

And I didn't want to play BG2 without having finished BG1 first.

PS:T had me stumped at some point (dunno where anymore), and something other caught my attention, so I never finished that, either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on December 27, 2012, 03:08:27 AM
I picked up the D&D anthology (BG1, BG2, ID1, ID2, PS:T, ToEE, plus all expansions) for EUR 9.99 from Gamersgate.

I know people hated on ToEE, but I really liked it back in the day. Good graphics, atmosphere... the whole AD&D dungeon crawl experience captured rather nicely.

I played it after several of the fan patches.  That did keep it bit more stable.  It was a weird game.  The developers were extremely true to the original module.  For instance there was one room with a hydra in it.  Nothing that special, just a mid-level monster in one room.  It's common to see all sorts of monsters in a Pen and Paper module thrown in for color.  Still it was only one.  One Hydra in the whole module. That Hydra shows up in the game.  It's not difficult to fight, and it only shows up in that one room.  This is uncommon in PC games, as developers don't often spend the resources to create a whole monster for one minor encounter.  This struck me as very strange.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2012, 05:18:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 27, 2012, 03:08:27 AM

I played it after several of the fan patches.  That did keep it bit more stable.  It was a weird game.  The developers were extremely true to the original module.  For instance there was one room with a hydra in it.  Nothing that special, just a mid-level monster in one room.  It's common to see all sorts of monsters in a Pen and Paper module thrown in for color.  Still it was only one.  One Hydra in the whole module. That Hydra shows up in the game.  It's not difficult to fight, and it only shows up in that one room.  This is uncommon in PC games, as developers don't often spend the resources to create a whole monster for one minor encounter.  This struck me as very strange.

I only read all the shit the game received years after I first played it, and I was sad to read it. The devs deserved better.

Tamas

Spec Ops: The Line was welll worth the 66%-off price. A very regular on-rails shooter, but with a great story.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on December 27, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
Spec Ops: The Line was welll worth the 66%-off price. A very regular on-rails shooter, but with a great story.

I made an extra thread here somewhere. Comment on it i you like. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on December 27, 2012, 08:10:33 AM

I only read all the shit the game received years after I first played it, and I was sad to read it. The devs deserved better.

It wasn't a terrible game,  and let's be honest, Single player RPGs weren't exactly plentiful when it came out (they aren't now either).  The biggest problem was the many bugs in the game.  This was fairly typical of Troika, and is probably why they aren't around anymore.  Still, it was like a labor of love rather then a commercial product.  It was turn based (not that I think this is a negative, it's just that this was so uncommon at the time), and the the meticulous reconstruction of the original adventure just made the game seem weird to me. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Just noticed Civilization 5/game of the year version + The Gods and Kings expansion are all 75% off on steam.

So in the UK that would be £12.50 for Game of the Year plus expansion.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on December 28, 2012, 03:52:46 PM
Just noticed Civilization 5/game of the year version + The Gods and Kings expansion are all 75% off on steam.

So in the UK that would be £12.50 for Game of the Year plus expansion.   :cool:

Yeah I got G&K today. Will play it if I can get over the fact that Gustavus Adolphus looks just like Erik XIV and that they say that Caroleans weren't in the Great Northern War. :tracksuit:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

So is Stronghold 3 (Gold edition) worth $7.50?  I really just kind of want it for castle building.

Er.  Has anyone even played Stronghold 3?

mongers

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2012, 07:12:19 PM
So is Stronghold 3 (Gold edition) worth $7.50?  I really just kind of want it for castle building.

Er.  Has anyone even played Stronghold 3?

Nope, the  reviews I read about it are split between 'it's a dumbing down of the play mechanics' and it's a different take/innovation on the old system. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: mongers on December 28, 2012, 07:47:12 PM
Nope, the  reviews I read about it are split between 'it's a dumbing down of the play mechanics' and it's a different take/innovation on the old system.

I waffled about it for so long that the timer expired.  I guess I don't really want it that much.

Is the entire Assassins Creed franchise, except something called a "season pass," worth $65?  Is it something you should play through the whole way, instead of just jumping in for the latest game?

Solmyr

Dawnguard (Skyrim expansion) is on sale for 10 yuros until tomorrow evening, is it worth getting? Anyone played it?

Scipio

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 29, 2012, 11:05:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 28, 2012, 07:47:12 PM

I waffled about it for so long that the timer expired.  I guess I don't really want it that much.

Is the entire Assassins Creed franchise, except something called a "season pass," worth $65?  Is it something you should play through the whole way, instead of just jumping in for the latest game?
That's a good question.  It depends on whether you like the gameplay.  The series evolves significantly from the I through III.  The Ezio Auditore Trilogy (II, Brotherhood, Revelations) is really the standard.  III is very interesting, but gameplay is taking a seat to narrative.

You can skip I, IMHO.  Season Pass for AssCreed III would be essential.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt