News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Shadowrun Returns is free on Humble Bundle atm.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2018, 04:04:47 PM
Fallout 4 for 11€. I've seen that the reaction is mixed but I love the saga too much. Should I buy it?

For 11e it's fine. Plenty of stuff to do and experience, just don't expect your character's personality to be as customizable as previous Fallouts or Elder Scrolls. I understand the DLCs are better story-wise, though I haven't played them.

Syt

Haven't played it much myself, but I hear it's a decent open world shooter with crafting mechanics but not much of an RPG.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I've got too many un finished rpgs for f4 as fun as f3 was.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on June 22, 2018, 02:44:06 AM
Fallout 4 for 11€. I've seen that the reaction is mixed but I love the saga too much. Should I buy it?

For 11e it's fine. Plenty of stuff to do and experience, just don't expect your character's personality to be as customizable as previous Fallouts or Elder Scrolls. I understand the DLCs are better story-wise, though I haven't played them.

It's more fun than FO3, but not nearly as fun as FONV.  No surreal vaults, though, and more of a shooter than an RPG. It's got some great visuals, though.  Worth getting just to see the game world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on June 22, 2018, 02:44:06 AM

If the DLCs have better narratives then I'll wait for the GOTY edition to get a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the input everybody.

crazy canuck

War in the East and in the West are deeply discounted.  I just not sure I want to take the plunge - who here has played and enjoyed them?

PDH

I was a tester for WiTE - it was very engrossing at the time, and put a lot of effort into it.  It suffers from some problems, and it seems to have a bit of the "Germans will wear down, the Russians will overcome" when playing FtF.   I haven't played it in years though.

I do enjoy the fact that I did win a 1 v 1 Germans vs USSR game that was posted on the forums...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Solmyr

Quote from: PDH on June 22, 2018, 10:22:09 PM
It suffers from some problems, and it seems to have a bit of the "Germans will wear down, the Russians will overcome" when playing FtF.

Is it possible to have a WW2 Germans vs Soviets game any other way? That period sure gets a lot of gaming attention for being exceptionally unexciting to portray in a game.

PDH

Quote from: Solmyr on June 23, 2018, 02:44:09 AM
It suffers from some problems, and it seems to have a bit of the "Germans will wear down, the Russians will overcome" when playing FtF.

Is it possible to have a WW2 Germans vs Soviets game any other way? That period sure gets a lot of gaming attention for being exceptionally unexciting to portray in a game.

I was more pointing to the fact that by later 1942 and the appearance of the first corps and guard corps, the balance shifts completely and fairly quickly to a USSR domination.  A good USSR player can begin successful entire length of the map campaigns that grind down the German player far faster than reality.  Just as another quibble is that the German supply lines allow things that shouldn't have been able to happen in 1941, the Soviets knocking on the German frontiers in middle 1943 just doesn't feel right.

Almost impossible to get right, I think.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on June 23, 2018, 02:44:09 AM

There's a reason I prefer to play specific campaigns within the war rather than go full strategic.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I think I will avoid War in the East - any views on War in the West?

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2018, 12:46:25 PM
I think I will avoid War in the East - any views on War in the West?

I haven't played it extensively, but the features are very impressive - the air war can be a game in itself - the production chain of everything is detailed in the background. So for example, oil is transported from wells to refineries and then fuel to units, and you can try and bomb this at any stage you see fit - or all of it. It can be automated fully in terms of you just giving general orders to air formations, but if your thing is to manually assign targets for everyone every turn, you can do that as well.

Also, amphibious invasions are fairly easy to organise compared to the scale of the game.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2018, 01:16:25 PM
War in the East and in the West are deeply discounted.  I just not sure I want to take the plunge - who here has played and enjoyed them?

I ahve played and enjoyed WitE quite a bit, and I bought WitW but haven't ahd time to play it.

That being said, I think the fact that I enjoyed War in the East says more about me than it does the game...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned