News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I had some fun puttering around with it.  Tried a few classes for the first couple of levels - Monk - scale fist; Paladin; Cleric; Sylvan Sorcerer.   Want to try a wizard next but I am wondering whether I should go back to either a tank or the Cleric - for the persuasion and perception, both of which seem to be key in this game.

Josquius

Epic games store (yeah, I know) is apparently doing regular give aways to try and tempt people onboard. No need to pay anything, its free to make an account, but free Assassins Creed Syndicate at the moment
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: frunk on November 29, 2019, 07:15:33 PM
I think most Hentai has some fucking, so that's a pretty narrow category you are looking for.

The main thing that bugs me about their store search is that there isn't an exclude function (that I know of). The ability to simply exclude nsfw or early access would be awesome.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 25, 2020, 01:42:28 AM
Quote from: frunk on November 29, 2019, 07:15:33 PM
I think most Hentai has some fucking, so that's a pretty narrow category you are looking for.

The main thing that bugs me about their store search is that there isn't an exclude function (that I know of). The ability to simply exclude nsfw or early access would be awesome.

Pretty sure I have seen exclude NSFW for somewhere.
it may be a more permanent setting somewhere under your profile rather than a search filter.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

HOI IV is on sale for $16. Never pulled the trigger on that. Should I do so now?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2020, 08:51:17 AM
HOI IV is on sale for $16. Never pulled the trigger on that. Should I do so now?

If you want to play with some nice graphics and some really interesting design ideas, then yes. If you want to play a WW2 game with a functional AI, then no.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2020, 08:56:07 AM

If you want to play with some nice graphics and some really interesting design ideas, then yes. If you want to play a WW2 game with a functional AI, then no.

If you micromanage you will crush the AI almost every time.  I've found it best to take a high level manager's route, which gives a challenging game as the AI fights against the AI at the local level.

If you'll be driven crazy by your subordinate AI doing stupid things and/or don't want to put in the time to figure out how to give general orders to get them to mostly do what you need then it may not be ideal.

Sophie Scholl

Is France viable or do they collapse almost guaranteed?  I know Poland was generally always a lost cause in prior iterations and the same with France, but those are my two favorite options.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 26, 2020, 05:04:19 PM
Is France viable or do they collapse almost guaranteed?  I know Poland was generally always a lost cause in prior iterations and the same with France, but those are my two favorite options.

I remember watching a let's play by Marbozir early on, in which he did quite well as Poland.

frunk

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 26, 2020, 05:04:19 PM

I've played quite successfully as France, never tried Poland. 

celedhring

What would you recommend at that strategic level?

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on February 27, 2020, 10:33:59 AM

What would you recommend at that strategic level?

I think the only alternatives are Strategic Command and Warplan. I was involved with both to some degree, so it wouldn't be very ethical to recommend, I guess. :)

But still: SC is prettier than Warplan and is more scripted toward historical strategic outcomes. Warplan has far fewer historical events but IMHO it has a bit more modern UI, and a better naval system. Despite having the better UI (and a pretty good AI), Warplan feels more like a boardgame on PC, I guess.

celedhring

Thanks! I'll look those up.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on February 27, 2020, 10:50:18 AM
Thanks! I'll look those up.

It is worth noting that both of those games are primarily wargames, and have nowhere near HOI4's level of sandboxy diplomatic or political options. There are diplomacy in the games (and research), they work quite ok I think, too, but they are super-abstracted and serve as a background for fighting WW2.