News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

On Command: it is actually quite easy to handle, when it comes to the basics and the UI. The complexity comes from the fact it is a hardcore simulation (heck, there is a professional version now sold to, uhm, organisations), and if you want to play well you need to have at least some idea about the equipment and tactics involved.

But if you do know your thermal layers from your SEAD weaponry (or willing to read a lot of the in-game database), it offers fascinating flexibility. A bit like how the Operational Art of War covers a lot of conflicts and has an event engine. It is similar here.

I mean, in how many other games do you have the chance to fail in sneaking up on some Russian subs south of Cuba in the 70s in one scenario, do a poor job in organising an Iraqi airstrike against Iran in the next, and then recreate the failings of the Pakistani navy in their first "victory" (according to the scenario description, historically they destroyed about 3 mud huts) against India?

Solmyr

Stronghold Crusader HD at less than a euro, for the next 24 hours: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/stronghold-crusader-hd

celedhring

Pretty cool space games humble this week:

https://www.humblebundle.com/intergalactic-bundle

Is Gal Civ 3 worth it over 2? Besides the obvious graphic improvements.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2017, 02:34:48 PM
Pretty cool space games humble this week:

https://www.humblebundle.com/intergalactic-bundle

Is Gal Civ 3 worth it over 2? Besides the obvious graphic improvements.

Curious on this too.
And is this offworld trader any good?

Looks nice in theory but...who really needs several space 4x games?
██████
██████
██████

Ancient Demon

On the subject of space games, Endless Space is 96% off on Steam.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

MadBurgerMaker

There's a Paradox sale on Green Man Gaming.  I don't see the new Stellaris expansion on there, but there's a lot of other stuff. 

https://www.greenmangaming.com/easter-sale/paradox/

And the whole Easter sale thing, which I haven't really looked over: https://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/ 

E: Does The Elder Scrolls Online suck or is it okay or what?  They've got the "Gold Edition" for $20. 

Valmy

It sucked when it first came out. Supposedly it is pretty good now.

I have no first hand experience to relate though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 13, 2017, 07:31:05 PM
On the subject of space games, Endless Space is 96% off on Steam.

Thanks for the heads up  :)

Solmyr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 13, 2017, 07:53:13 PM
E: Does The Elder Scrolls Online suck or is it okay or what?  They've got the "Gold Edition" for $20.

It's okay, especially if you enjoy the Elder Scrolls setting in general. You can customize your character to a great degree (especially if you get the DLCs, but I don't have them and haven't missed them yet). It's also free to play (you can pay for perks but I don't think any are required), so if you want to try it out casually and don't mind the $20 then go ahead.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2017, 08:17:59 PM
It sucked when it first came out. Supposedly it is pretty good now.

I have no first hand experience to relate though.

QuoteIt's okay, especially if you enjoy the Elder Scrolls setting in general. You can customize your character to a great degree (especially if you get the DLCs, but I don't have them and haven't missed them yet). It's also free to play (you can pay for perks but I don't think any are required), so if you want to try it out casually and don't mind the $20 then go ahead.

Thanks guys.  I do like the setting for sure (been playing a lot of Skyrim again lately), so $20 isn't too much to give it a shot as long as it isn't terrible.  This gold edition apparently has the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Imperial City, and Orsinium DLCs.  Oh and a horse. 

Arvoreen

They are doing Free Play  entirely through April 18th.  You can download direct or through Steam and give it a spin.  I'm trying it now and having some fun...enough I may consider paying the $20 :)

MadBurgerMaker

It won't even install the launcher.

E:  Finally got it to start working by booting into freaking safe mode with networking.  So that's nice.  Damn 40GB?

Ed Anger

I got that endless space game and that space humble bundle. More games I'll never play!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

ESO is alright.  My wife got it too in the sale (although she had played the beta for a few minutes, and so got a pet monkey or some shit).  So she runs through the tutorial real quick, and I'm saying to sell her loot to the first chef dude in the boat.  She replies that she doesn't have anything, and I tell her she needs to loot more.

First thing she goes and does?

Steals some shit right in front of a guard, and then fights the guard:lol:  She'll fit right in.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.