News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Wargamer has an article summarizing what is known about GW's upcoming Warhammer: the Old World (they're bringing back a rank and file fantasy Warhammer): https://www.wargamer.com/warhammer-the-old-world/rules

Some neat bits in there... I like the apparent focus on movement, where they'll be distinguishing between Close Order and Open Order formations, in addition to units in Skirmish formations.

I've been done with GW's games for a while, but I'm feeling the temptation to dig out my old High Elves (and Goblins, and Chaos, and Dwarfs...) and getting them into a decent state to see if I can get a few games in at my local game store when the rules drop.

I don't know....

The Brain

From what little I've seen it appears their aim is to get rid of all the mid-brow stuff in the fluff. Like Massif Orcal or Louen Leoncoeur etc. Also, is it, as the name implies, actually limited to just the Old World?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

In what regard? Factions? This is what I could find regarding who is in and who is out (so far). Your Tomb Kings actually are a core group it seems!  :)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/06/old-world-development-diary-walk-like-a-nehekharan-in-the-land-of-the-dead/

You cannot see attachments on this board.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on November 06, 2023, 03:03:25 PMFrom what little I've seen it appears their aim is to get rid of all the mid-brow stuff in the fluff. Like Massif Orcal or Louen Leoncoeur etc. Also, is it, as the name implies, actually limited to just the Old World?

As Sophie's list shows, it's expected they'll do Kislev and Grand Cathay at some point, so if you mean geographically then no. As I understand it "the Old World" is a temporal reference, it's the Warhammer World before the Storm of Chaos blew up everything and led to the Age of Sigmar.

The Brain

That's one of the reasons I don't like it: taking a big dump on terms that are well-established in fluff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on November 06, 2023, 11:54:19 PMThat's one of the reasons I don't like it: taking a big dump on terms that are well-established in fluff.

Yeah that's totally fair.

I think I'll dabble, for two and a half reasons:

1) I want to check out the new implementation of the rules. I have a lot of Fantasy rank and file mini rule sets, so I'll want to check this one out too.

2) I'm getting a little bit excited about dusting off my old army (armies) and getting some games in at the local nerd store when TOW is the new hotness.

2.5) I'll want to bring my boy along to help roll dice and stuff, making it a father-son thing.

Jacob

GW's been previewing some of the rules on their "Almanack" site: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/20/old-world-almanack-fight-the-good-fight-in-the-combat-phase/

Looks like they've added a bit of complexity since the last few iterations:

Losing combat has three different possible outcomes: give ground / falling back in good order / rout. Apparently more than one round of combat can be fought as well... which I suppose will resolve unit combats faster, rather than allowing tar pits.

Jacob

So I put my preorders in at the FLGS and I'm getting the Core Book, Ravening Hordes, Forces of Fantasy, and the Bretonnia army book thingie (arcane journal, I think it's called).

I've been of the GW product line for a while, but they're reeling me back in  :ph34r:

Jacob

So I was painting a bit when I accidentally knocked over a pot of Spacewolf Gray contrast paint. I spent about 30 seconds trying to scoop it back in before I gave up on that.

Instead I rummaged through all my primed minis to find the ones where it'd make sense to put down a base layer of that paint.

Not the most efficient way to use paint, alas.

Sophie Scholl

Ooof. That's certainly not fun. I'm glad you salvaged something, though!

I've been really tempted to get into the small scale AoS/40k/OW or one of the small scale Star Wars games for a bit. I feel like I would be better off just looking for a ttrpg group, though, as I have no real desire to much more than be involved with narrative aspects of those games.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

If you're looking for narrative, but like the GW oeuvre and minis I'd suggest looking for Mordheim or Necromunda group :)

jimmy olsen

Caiphas Cain books are good and so are Sandy Mitchel's Dark Heresey books, although that series will never be finished.

I've read Know No Fear, which is the HH book where the Ultramarines get Pearl Harbored at Calth by the World Bearers. It was good, but that's the only HH book I've read.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point